Jack shaft drive with smaller 4 cycle engine

GoldenMotor.com

marjamar

Jun 1, 2013
Colorado
I can get 40 miles with a 12ah Li battery averaging close to 20mph in hilly terrain out of my BOB before recharging which in actuality uses 9.6ah before the BMS shuts it down. Takes a little under 2 hrs. with my 5 amp charger to renew. This is sufficient for my needs at this time. I wasn't trying to sell you on the idea of a BOB pusher, just making a point that it is a viable option for motorizing a bicycle, in fact most of them including recumbents etc..
View attachment 60235
An old friend is an engineer at BOB and he doesn't have a problem with the attachment as a pusher. The guy who holds the patent has had moto BOBs in use for the last 12 years. My buddy is the one that is helping me with the new design which may or may not use the BOB yolk and nuts we have yet to decide that. The one that we are using for the prototype stage is from an Xtra Wheel and it is the same kind of thing but different enough to skirt the BOB patent and fully encloses around the "nut". We are not trying to reinvent that particular aspect as much as the trailer itself and its functionality.

Here is a picture of that 5:1 reduction on a 49cc Huasheng on my cargo bike. It works well here but it will make too wide of a system for use in a front triangle I feel.
View attachment 60234
You can run the GX35 off axis no problem but it won't make it any narrower.
That's really good range. I was figuring about 1.5 miles per ah, you're getting almost 4 per ah. I agree about fully enclosing the Bob Nutz. Just a flat washer over the hitch and a locking pin through a new hole in the Bob Nutz would do the job. I could do this, but I really don't like modifying new equipment to such an extent as cutting of parts and tigging back new. I suppose if I really felt a motorized trailer is the best way, I might though.

As to "selling me", that's what I'm looking for, someone to sell me on their way of doing this. I've talents and can do most anything I try, but I can also see other peoples talents for what they are, and that's often the better way to approach a new venue.

Thanks a bunch.

-Rodger

marjamar

Jun 1, 2013
Colorado
Andy (my oldest son) is getting inspired to build a motor powered bike as well. He's been doing alot of reading here and elsewhere on the internet, and thinks he's got a workable plan, at least I hope he does. He bought a Harbor Freight 79cc OHV engine last night. It's on sale for $99 and he used a 20% off coupon, so got it for cheap.

Now he has to literally buy everything else.

Guess I take some notes.

-Rodger