Noob from Detroit

GoldenMotor.com

ExileRed

May 25, 2013
Downriver, MI
Hello All,
Ok I've been bit by the motor-bug. I've been doing various forms of DIY for several years looking for a niche and now I'm thinking of dropping a motor onto my Huffy Santa Fe, after a tune-up and paint job. Later on I might start with a frame and headset and go from there, but thats down the road a ways.

The more I look at the Huffy, the more I think that it might just get the tune-up and paint and I might pick up something new for my first motorized project. If I go that route, what should I look for in a donor bike? Budget will probably be no more than $650 for just the bike. Any additional equipment upgrades will be pieced together here and there over a few months.

A few Google searches turn up about a million different opinions about who makes a good/solid bike and about half of those opinions are out of date. I figure this forum would be a good place to get current info on bikes that are actually available in the here and now.

I'm 6'2” and over 250lbs so I'd need big and solid and weight is really not a concern. I'm hard on my toys so solid and reliable would be better than fancy and stylish.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy ER, welcome.

You are so right considering the bike/foundation first. Really is the most important concern. Aside from safety, it really is the very foundation. With that as a budget, you can get a very good bike. Felt's leap to mind as they make some just plain awesome bikes and most are around that price range. (Check out the Heritage!)

Also, there is a thread "bicycle review" It has some great information. It rambles a bit because I started the thread and, well, all the threads I start end up about pets, cartoons and/or jokes in very poor taste.

I will find it and post if you can't find it. I am posting from my phone and is kinda a PITB.

The main things to consider safety wise are good front & rear brakes, sure up or remove fenders and of course ride safe. Shoes, helmet and gloves are a really great idea. (Trust me on that, LOL)

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!! Lots of great info here..........if you have an idea, most likely someone here has already done it. If you search a little, you can save a lot of time, money, and pains in the arse concerning your project.