hello from Brazil

GoldenMotor.com

Guellao

May 27, 2013
Brazil
Hi guys im a newbie here and taking a lot of informations trough the topics im reading

But i still have some questions since im really newbie at mechanics
How can u define a jack shaft? there is not a translation for this in my language could someone explain it to me? how it works and what it is?

Do i need one if I decide to go with centrifugal clutch?
Im 6ft4 and 225lbs would a HS 142 carry me on hills? my city is full of them
or i Should go with a bigger motor?

Im starting on a chooper build and i do not want to spend huge amounts of money in something that is simply not going to work

sorry for my bad english and thank you very much guys for keeping something so informative on internet

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey Guellao, Welcome to the forum.
A Jack Shaft is just a shaft that either transfers the drive from one side to the other, or is used to aid in gear reduction.You can see a pretty good example of one here that transfers the motor drive to the peddle side. Post# 5, Pictures 1 and 2
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=475566&highlight=jack+shaft+picture#post475566
And yes, Being a BIG guy, you might want to consider a larger engine. I don't know the law in Brazil concerning motorized bicycles, but they CAN'T be as hard as the laws in the States.
And if you run into a guy named Ivan Mansurov, a friend of mine, getting drunk in a bar, Tell him RED says HI. He recently moved back to Brazil and I have not heard from him since.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

Guellao

May 27, 2013
Brazil
thank you very much for your information

If i buy a centrifugal clutch do i still need a jackshaft?or it is not needed for gear reduction?
would a 79 cc carry me on some serious hills? i do need a motor that is as small as possible due to the regulations in here and i do not want to draw cops attention. Here they "pretend" the do not see it as long it looks like a bike and not a motorcycle

Guellao

May 27, 2013
Brazil
Thank you fatdaddy but those would make the total cost pretty much impossible to do due my budget restritcions
im looking for a centrfigul kit on a higer motor something like 5.5 since those i can find here in my country the prices are high but i think they may worth it
Im plaining in using a centrifugal clutch+ jackshaft due the right side sprocket
What kind of sprockets i should use on my jackshaft? on left side how many teeth?
I m looking for a 125 cc back wheel full mounted since they come with breaks and is not that hard to find one in good conditions in the junkyard

for the right side sprocket on jackshaft im thinking on 11 teeth and sprocket on wheel im thinking about maybe 72 teeth

Would it work?

One last question what is the width of the dowtube on a OCC stingray chopper bike?
They are to much expensive over here to buy one so im fabricating the frame

Sorry for my lack of punctuation my english is not that good yet

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I'm probably not the best person to ask about jackshaft gear reduction. But a 72 tooth rear sprocket sounds BIG. It will FOR SURE get you up almost any hill, but your top speed will probably suffer. Go back to this thread,
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=475566&highlight=jack+shaft+picture#post475566
And ask around about jackshafts and gear reduction. I think you'll find MOST of the people on this site are very helpfull.
fatdaddy.

Guellao

May 27, 2013
Brazil
Thanks once again fat daddy it really sounds that a 72 is to big since it is a motorcycle sprocket
was talking with some friends over here and they said that it would carry me trough hills since i do not care about speed at all
Something like max 40K/h on flat and 15 Km on hills would mmake me very happy
Just want to climb the hills over here
Now im sick but if i get better the project starts next week with some pics on it

There are only 2 hills here that i do not want to climb since even big motorcycles sometimes fail to climb then