I really like this one...

GoldenMotor.com

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I started my new bike today, it started within 20 ft, it had never been run, and it just fired right up. I have a 48 tooth sprocket on it so it doesn't lurch like the other one built.... I didn't see the chain hit the tire even though it's real close..... I used the removable link on the chain... on my other bike that link gave way and wrapped the chain around the rear sprocket.... from the experts; what's the best way to connect the chain... "master link" or fixed...and if I use the master link which way should the open end of the link face?..

A totally different experience and a superbly comfortable seat and "ride"... The hole in the cylinder sleeve apparently doesn't affect the functionality of the engine.. this is what I was "looking" for .... :) :) now i'm happy.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Face the link with open end facing the direction of the drive. I lost a clip that I faced opposing the direction of the drive and it went flying.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Here is the way I do it with the chain running into the engine or the top half of the chain the open end of the clip should face to the rear of the bike. On the classic posts I show the way it should be. look at #4 permalink on Topend rebuild and engine stand there's pictures and the how to.
Norman

Last edited:

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Here ia the way I do it with the chain running into the engine or the top half of the chain the open end of the clip should face to the rear of the bike. On the classic posts I show the way it should be but you will have to look at the posts. I think it is in the total tear down one but not sure.
Thanks Norman, I watched the video of you plane ..... Hott Dayummmm "bitchin"...

My cruiser is so much more comfortable than the first build (hurried)..... but the front mount lets the engine "flex" right and left... I think I have to remove the bike tube "insulators" from the frame and bolt it "hard" to the steel....other than that I really like the cruiser build... riding the bike around my neighborhood a lawn service guy flagged me down....says> "where did you get that" I says I built it he says "can you build me one"....yada yada..

Your info is opposite of the post of ebmvegan, now I'm confused.... thanks ...
Bob

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Well I hope I've supplied the correct info as I've yet to loose a masterlink myself and I think you will find that most people out there will agree with me. If you will follow the directions on install and removal of the clip on the masterlink you won't over stress it and get it bent out of shape which will lead to the clip flying off.
Norman

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
I just happened to install it 2 different ways and got lucky with the other. How I have it now has been working great. Although I could be wrong and just lucky.

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I did have the first build's master link oriented with the closed end facing the front of the bike, and I will admit when I installed it if "felt" flimsy not "positively" snapped in place (although it was) and that's the one that wrapped around the rear sprocket after it "grazed" my left calf muscle.... it stopped the bike "DEAD".... I thought "HEY what happened NOW"....