Spray carb cleaner by carb to intake and engine die's.

GoldenMotor.com

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
When I spray carb cleaner on the carb going into the intake the engine die's....I know it has to be a leak,but wouldnt it rev up instead of dieing?What gives?
I just mounted this new engine about a hour ago....I am using a rubber union washer for the carb to stop any leaks,also built my own intake gasket and it seems to be good becouse when I spray carb cleaner on it,the engine idle does not change....Is there something better to use with the union washer to stop any leaks from the carb to intake????
I just checked the spark plug after the engine cooled down(dont want to take the threads out with the spark plug)and it looks like it is running rich....I am running a little extra oil in it for the break in but if there was a leak wouldnt the plug be white or light light brown????

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Are you sure you're not getting any of the spray into the carb? It doesn't take much to stall one of these little motors.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Are you sure you're not getting any of the spray into the carb? It doesn't take much to stall one of these little motors.
That was my thoughts exactally....Im wondering if the carb is sucking the over spray into the air cleaner....I will keep an eye on the plug to see if it starts to look like it is running lean....
Thanks for the reply
John-John

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Is there something better to use with the union washer to stop any leaks from the carb to intake????
I'm not sure what "union washer" is but I cut my intake gaskets from cereal box cardboard and it lasts for years. That red material used on stock engines seems to melt very quickly. The cardboard lasts much longer.

Maybe your mating surfaces need to be matched better.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I'm not sure what "union washer" is but I cut my intake gaskets from cereal box cardboard and it lasts for years. That red material used on stock engines seems to melt very quickly. The cardboard lasts much longer.

Maybe your mating surfaces need to be matched better.
A union washer is a flat fuel resistant rubber washer that goes in the carb were it meets with the intake....It makes a good seal for factory carb's....I make my own gaskets out of gasket material....
John-John

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think you're sucking in overspray but there is a better solution for sealing the carb to the intake. Slightly rough up the surface of the intake pipe with sand cloth/paper and the inside of the carburetor throat. Use a good silicone gasket sealer like Permatex Black, and coat the intake before sliding the carb on. Don't go overboard with the sealer just use enough that all surfaces are covered. Also make sure you get some sealer into the slots along the inside of the carb where it clamps to the intake. If you're sure the gasket you made for the intake to cylinder is good then go for it. If not you can use the same gasket sealer there too in combination with a gasket.
Tom