E10 Fuel...Is it any good for these motors?

GoldenMotor.com

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
Premium 98 Fuel...Is it any good for these motors?

premium98

This is the stuff I have been using here in Australia. I mix it 95:1 with Opti-2 oil. The bike runs great but have heard some bad things about high octain fuel. Or whats this fuel like with a 98 rating and 10% Ethanol? BOOST 98

Steve

Last edited:

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
I use the higher quality fuel all the time, no probs, might be cleaner for the motor. Not quite sure about ethanol and how well it mixes with oil at a very rich mixture though..
Vortex 98

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I use 91 octane fuel and that works fine for me. I used 110 in the past and it started melting my fuel line and clogging up my main jet but I think the 98 will be okay. The only thing I would feel learry about is the 95:1 ratio. That seems really lean and bad for your engine's life.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
E10, or 10% ethanol has been around here since the '80s. As far as i know, just about everything manufactured in the last 25 years is designed to use 10% ethanol.

Now, that being said, is it better? Nope.

A different question- Is higher octane going to do anything more than add placebo effect speed and smoothness at any compression below abot 9 to 1 (probabky higher, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt)? Nope, but if it makes you feel better, we use so little gas the cost difference is insignificant.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
All the fuel in the US is E10. But no, it is not better. After the switch from plain gas to E5, then E10 (and soon maybe E15 :( )it started eating the fuel lines and stuff in my car. I had to replace filters, the lines, etc. Ugh. But my bike does run fine with it. I run my bike on 89 otherwise it pings with the slant head. That is the highest grade fuel I can get where I live, I'd love to run higher.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Premix with ethanol gasoline blends does not store as well, IMHO. 10% seems to be OK for a month or so, sometimes more. But if it's moist and the temperature is changing a lot, fuel oil mixes don't dig the alcohol and will put stringers on your plug and junk if the mix isn't fairly fresh.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All the fuel in the US is E10. But no, it is not better. After the switch from plain gas to E5, then E10 (and soon maybe E15 :( )it started eating the fuel lines and stuff in my car. I had to replace filters, the lines, etc. Ugh. But my bike does run fine with it. I run my bike on 89 otherwise it pings with the slant head. That is the highest grade fuel I can get where I live, I'd love to run higher.
You're absolutely right about the alcohol eating fuel lines. The hose they sell that is resistant to the E10 is really pricey but you don't have to worry about your fuel lines falling apart. Anyone with older, collector cars, hot rods, classics should be aware of this and replace any rubber or neoprene lines before a disaster happens. It almost did with me. I'm a firm believer.
Tom