I broke my chain!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Been there, done that, always carry a spare now! I'm guessing that is the original kit chain. I switched to #41 roller chain and haven't had a problem since.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my peddal side chain is the same size and length as my engine side chain,so if one breaks i can borrow the other one,its like always having a spare with me,plus they both have a master link so it would be easy to change.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i have a scwhinn del mar single speed cruiser with wide 3/8" peddal side chain and its the same size as the 415 chain on my engine side and there both the same length.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I shift HARD All the time. This was the second Shifter Kit bike made, put on a well ridden mid 80's Diamond Back with a lot of wear - the chain had some bent plates to start. I routinely experimented with it for 1.5 years (so far!) - purposely dumping the chain. Proves that chain breakage won't be a problem if you start with a good chain. The only thing that happened is the bike just was gliding with chain off so no real worries about going down. This is because of two freewheels. I didn't even know I had a busted plate until after I put the chain on second time and it kept jumping. .shft.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
I actually had a 415 chain break on me last week on my shifter kit (the chain on the left side of the engine). I replaced it with another one and chalk it up as a rare event. I think a pebble got thrown up into the clutch cover that houses the drive sprocket and it tweaked a chain plate causing it to fail similarly.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A friend of mine uses a bmx chain instead of the 415 chain, (for extra tire clearance.)
He has to replace the BMX chain every year or so because it stretches from the engine torque.

Maybe SBP could look into finding out what brand of chain is strongest, to go with their shift kits?

Also.. I'm not knocking SBP's kit! I think it's a stellar invention!!!

Last edited: