Motor orientation

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
With the motors like those sold by Powerkingshop (I guess I am referring to the Chinese mass imports), I see that they are usually mounted in a more-or-less vertical position, but often tilted slightly forward. My question is, how much leaway is there in orientation? For instance, could it be tilted 90 degrees forward from vertical? Would it run upside down? Yes I know its a dumb question but I promise to only ask it once.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The engine would run in any position. The carburetor however must sit relatively level to function properly. There is a float in the carb that must be considered when mounting the engine in anything other than the standard position that you have seen and described.
And never think it is a dumb question. Ask anything and we'll try our best to answer for you. That's why we're here.
Tom

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
With the motors like those sold by Powerkingshop (I guess I am referring to the Chinese mass imports), I see that they are usually mounted in a more-or-less vertical position, but often tilted slightly forward. My question is, how much leaway is there in orientation? For instance, could it be tilted 90 degrees forward from vertical? Would it run upside down? Yes I know its a dumb question but I promise to only ask it once.
The only 2 stroke motors that run in any position use pumper carbs
with diaphrams like a Walbro
Pumper carbs can also draw gas up from a gas tank

The carb with float bowl on the Chinese 2 stroke needs to be fairly level
to run properly and the gas tank most be higher than the inlet.

Last edited: