My Project

GoldenMotor.com

AdrianD2

Jun 18, 2009
Burbank, IL, USA
Hi guys, I want to put an engine on my bike and I need some people to walk me through it because I can't buy any of those fancy kits they're a little too expensive since I'm only 14 years old.
I need your guys help the choose the right engine. Getting an engine won't be a problem because I can go to the flea market and get one. I have 2 bikes I can do this on, a 24" Mountain Bike or a Single Speed 20" bike. Which one is better to use? Ill post some pictures tomorrow in the morning.

AdrianD2

Jun 18, 2009
Burbank, IL, USA
Here's the pictures of the bikes
i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo12/ModSlayerx/P1060499.jpg
i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo12/ModSlayerx/P1060500.jpg
The 20" is alot heavier than the others bikes, if that matters much.
And another bike 26" I think this one would be the best but the back wheel is bent, anyone know how to fix it?
i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo12/ModSlayerx/P1060500.jpg

Last edited:

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
somewhere there is a thread that will take you to a bike repair sit fixing a wheel is not that hard if it is not bent bad. the 26 inch is the best choice for a build, as far as buying an engine from the flea market you should consider the othe costs involved,sprockets mounts, gas tank, throttle etc, i really think that buying a kit would be far more cost effective. good luck and if i can help in anyway i am here, frank

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Ok say I buy a weed whacker for 20 bucks how much more money would I need until I can ride it?
That depends on how you intend to mount it for use. Probably the cheapest would be to use it as a friction drive. I know next to nothing about those kinds of set-ups although I am sure someone that dos know will be along shortly to help ya out on this.

Glad you could join us and good luck with your build.
.wee.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if youre going for frition drive: the cost of bolts,steel brackets,and hinges.
it will help if you find a pic of a bike with weed wacker on it and you can see what they used. this build like this wont be alot of money,but time and skill at doing it right.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
probally around 20mph and to be able to peddal like normal you will need to mount the motor with a hinge mounted to a metal bracket and mounted above the rear wheel or rear rack,so when you want to peddal just lift motor off of wheel that is on hinge and have a lever hold it off the wheel.