new wheel build

GoldenMotor.com

damdav1

Apr 14, 2009
saint charles
i have a grubee new hub kit which i am trying to have someone build wheel for me
i was wondering if anyone could tell me what lenght of spokes should i order? the people at my local bike shop where asses no one person could answer my question 1st tell told me to come back at a time which i did then tell told me i had to speak with the master wheel builder now these asses want me to got to another location to meet with this guy which is really far and out of my way im about to say it and take a loss on my hub purchase but the place to order the wheel off line wants 240.00 for the wheel i want,the wants bike shop 75.00 for build but i bring in parts for the extra $ i will spend i want s.s spokes on a really nice wheel why doses all of this gotta be so freakin difficult?? so any help would be much appreiceated thank you for your time and cooperation

Last edited by a moderator:

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
Hello,

I went through nearly the same exact experience myself a few weeks back. I think many people who come here all have the same idea's and the same huddles to overcome, that's whats so great about this forum.

When I asked nearly this same question a few weeks ago, a user by the name "ocscully" pointed me to a website with a spoke calculator. Building Bicycle Wheels by Sheldon Brown In my case the hub I was working with was not listed in any of the calculators which made it even more difficult.

My Hub/Wheel/Spokes post is located here

Guess I got lucky myself and the bike shop in my town has a very nice guy, who did that job for me and did not charge me allot. Some idea's, maybe the place you bought that hub from will tell you the spoke length? Your hub sounds like it will be more popular and currant then mine was, it maybe listed in one of those calculators, I also found out from my wheel builder guy, if the spokes are too long they just cut them off and thread the end with a tool, it takes a few seconds to do, but with 36 spokes, they would prefer not to.

Good luck!

myke

Last edited:

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Wheel building is basically connecting a hub of some fixed diameter to a rim of some greater diameter. There are charts, some online that will help you determine what length of spoke you need. To complicate things most wheels can be built radially, cross one, cross two, cross three and cross four patterns. A cross is when a spoke crosses the path of another spoke from hub to rim. Whole books are written about this so it must get a little complex. Most people are not patient or sensitive enough to get there with wheel building. Just a personality trait and persistence gets you there. Search wheel building and read Myke's and any other wheel threads on this and other forums. I will build your wheels for cost plus $50.00 labor if you want. It is better to find a local wheel guru so small problems can get fixed before they get big.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Unless you have a really specific need I have found (with my one attempt) that by the time you get the rim, hub, and spokes you have laid out almost the cost of purchasing a ready made wheel. Look around before you commit to this project.

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA
I got a weinnman wheel with s/s spokes from a local Schwinn shop it cost me around $65. I think any bike shop can order them. If all else fails I could get you one and send it to you, just pay for the rim and shipping. my local shop has 4 or 5 in stock. Or better yet here is his # (559) 255-9222 Sumners Schwinn shop. Maby he can send you one. 12 gauge spokes are like $1.75 per spoke times 36 is $63 save some time and just order one for $65. just pm me if you want me to get you one.