clutch problem

GoldenMotor.com

stick2u38

Mar 24, 2014
Commerce, Ga.
I WAS RIDING MY MOTORIZED BIKE WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THE CLUTCH STOPPED WORKING HOW CAN IT BE FIXED I CAN MOVE my bike without holding in the clutch

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Check the clutch cable, I have had a cable break inside the housing. You can replace only the cable inside with a brake cable from a bike shop or Walmart, I buy a set at wm that has four cables in it and carry the wire only with me in case of a break down.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Sorry I went back and reread the post, I got the problem backwards. Remove the right side cover and check the lock screw that keeps the flower nut from moving, it sounds like the flower nut has backed out.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Greg58 may have figured it out; but if not and If I am understanding what you are saying:
Engine is off. Clutch hand lever is all the way out, in the "drive" position like you would have it to travel down the road under engine power.
You are in your driveway with the engine turned off and the bike rolls around with little rolling resistance like the clutch and engine are not connected anymore.

There are 3 places that can fail and cause this.
1. Engine chain sprocket.
2. Clutch hub.
3. Crankshaft pinion gear.

Each assembly has what is called a "woodruff key" that locks the rotating part to the shaft that it mounts onto.
If the woodruff key shears, the rotating part will be allowed to rotate independently from the shaft it once was locked to.

Each assembly is held together by a nut and lockwasher. If the nut comes loose it will create a sloppy fit and the woodruff key will get sheared.

Check them all, I bet you will find one of them affected.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
There are 3 places that can fail and cause this.
1. Engine chain sprocket.
All of the above. Good Diagnostic Greg/GearNut I've #1 to be at the cause more often than not. Big nut backs off, pops off woodruff, sprocket spins beyond woodruff. Always caught it in time (jus my exp.) Let us know stick2u38.