younggun85's formal intro

GoldenMotor.com

younggun85

Jun 23, 2013
minnesota
Just thought I would post here since I jumped right into the whizzer thread without introducing myself here first.
I have been collecting vintage Schwinns since 1998 and have accumulated about 30-35 bicycles. Most are still under construction, but what I do have that's rideable are: 1965 Deluxe Racer 3sp,1965 Stingray, 1987 Predator, 2001 20" cruiserSS, and a2007 BFK stingray. My projects in the making are: 1969 Pea Picker, 1958 Streamliner, 1958 Starlet. Some others I have that are awaiting restoration are a Baloon tire: 1940's 20" Columbia built Cadillac, 1950 men's hornet, 1951 women's hornet, 1952 Black Phantom, Middleweight: 1953 men's and woman's Spitfire, 1960 24" Speedster, 1964 Typhoon, 1964 Hollywood, Lightweight: 1964 Continental, 1969 Breeze, 1969 Collegiate, 1970 Speedster, 1973 Varsity, 1973 women's Suburban. BMX: 1983 Scrambler, 1998 Robinson SST, 1998 Hydramatic, 1999 Pro Stock 3. Lastly: 1962 Town and Country tandem and my wife rides a 1979 women's collegiate 3 sp.
My motorbike project is a 1951 Schwinn canti-frame with a 2008 Whizzer WSE engine.
I live in Minnesota about 1 hour north of Minneapolis. I have three sons and a wife. When I'm not working on bicycles I am at home taking care of my kids or fixing up the cars or the house or out checking out swap meets, and sales and selling on ebay. I also like to collect coins and do carpentry.
I am also on the Schwinn Bike Forum, The CABE and Vintage Bmx.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome to the forum. Wo you have a lot of bikes
Add another hour to that and you will be at my place,and a couple more and you will run into Silverbear up in the north corner.............Curt

younggun85

Jun 23, 2013
minnesota
I am in Ham Lake. I hope to move to the Pine City area some day. SilverBear is way up north. If you guys are interested in making the ride two of the big events are coming up in the twin cities. There is the Minnesota Antique and Classic Bicycle club fall ride at boom island and next meet the fall swap in Andover. Any of you MN guys ever make it to the Spring Swap and Show at Penn Cycle?
MAC b/c has a facebook group too: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/174852922573479/\

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep i live in Brainerd and SB lives in Ely........Sounds like a good ride i will be elsewere.........Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. I'd say you're addicted and there is probably no cure. Good to see another Minnesotan on the forum. There aren't many of us. for such a big state.

The bike event in September... is that pedal only? Someday we're going to get a ride organized somewhere along the border with Canada to try to attract some people down from Ontario and from northern Wisconsin. Such great riding and camping opportunities in the north country. Curt, get that build done this winter!
Caduceus is from Frostbite Falls which is north of Bemidji, Charlie Chaindrive is from Staples. Have a member over at Two Harbors and at least one up at Thunder Bay, Ontario. No doubt there are others lurking in the shadows.
SB

younggun85

Jun 23, 2013
minnesota
Silverbear it is pedal only, but if you want to bring a motorbike down to show off I'm sure everybody would be very interested and I can lone you out a pedal bike if you need one. Also electric bikes up to 1000w are permitted on any mn bike trail. You could also ride a motorized bicycle if the engine is disengaged. If you have a belt drive that just means pull the belt off. This is a very leisure ride (limited terrain) up a nd down the banks of the mississippi river near the historic birth place of Minneapolis. We go under the grain belt sign, by the mill city ruins. It's only a short ride about an 1hr and then some hanging out in the parking lot and voting on your favorite bike.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OQcY8ZSPE1Y

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think that event is for someone whose legs work and is younger than me. My American Flyer with canoe sidecar and dog passenger is grounded without the motor going. If I tried to pedal it my tongue would be hanging out and my pants would be on fire in less than ten minutes. Not pedaling is the whole idea of the motor part.

Someday we're going to get a great rally going in the north woods, hopefully just down the road from me at Bear Head Lake State Park and we'll call it "The Bear Head Run. Maybe I'll be able to convince you to bring your family & Whizzer up for a camping/fishing/bike trip in the great north woods. And no pedaling.

Or a motorized version for motor bikes, scooters and mopeds down your way along the Mississippi River. That would be fun, too.
SB
SB