New in the UK

GoldenMotor.com

robwizard

May 3, 2012
North West, UK
Hi there. So I am sick to death of working on cars.. and just as sick to death spending all my money running them once they are on the road! Never really liked motorbikes.. but I love cycling! What is the answer to all my woes? Motorized bicycle? Yep.

I have done a lot of thread reading and picture looking.. I know what I want to build but I just need to figure out how. Got some drawings so I will throw some plans together and commence frame building!

I want to build something along the lines of an earlyish Harley.. like 1914 style or something..

Do you guys salvage a fair amount of parts from donor bicycles? Like head tubes and bottom brackets, dropouts etc? Do you use entire mopeds for the engine donors or does everything have to be fitted specific? How does pedal start work? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!

Cheers

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hey, welcome to the forum....yes, all of the above. You can build from scratch, or buy everything you need to bolt together a motorized bike.

robwizard

May 3, 2012
North West, UK
Cheers buddy.. I have done more reading and have a couple of good drawings to work from regarding the frame. Couple of questions.. (again..)

What size would the wheels be on an early Harley/Indian? I read 26" or 28"? And also what is the preferred side of tubing to be used? I was gonna TIG the frame but had a crack at brazing yesterday for a more old school look! Not sure on that one yet..

Cheers

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I heard that you need speed-rated tires in the UK to travel the streets legally. Since you will need moped or motorcycle tires, you need the rims or entire wheels from a moped or motorcycle. I have never lived in the UK. I just heard that on the forum.