New Member Seeking Opinions on Build

GoldenMotor.com

Xixor

Apr 15, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Hello all,

I am completely new to motorized bicycling and was hoping that someone could point me towards some "sticky" threads regarding general help with picking the right setup for what a completely new person might be looking for. I have not seen any "stickies" like this around. Here is some background info:

1) Building out of necessity - used to ride bicycle 0.5 miles to work each day, recently changed jobs and now have a 2.5 mile commute with several moderate hills to contend with. Cannot afford motor scooter or motorcycle and parking a car is not an option.
2) I have a full size Scott Hybrid bike - advertised as a cross between a commuter and a mountain bike.
3) Weigh exactly 200lbs.
3) Really looking for something that I can turn the motor on and off easily while riding - don't need it going downhill, but would like to turn it on to go up the hills. Some of my commute is through a park, where I would definitely not want to have the motor running, and some will be going uphill on the road where I do not mind using the motor.
4) Want something as quiet as possible, but still have enough power to get me up the hills. Its not going to sound like a chainsaw, is it? Do these kits come with good mufflers?
5) Want something as unobtrusive as possible - I have seen some larger motors perched up over top of the rear wheel and it looks very conspicuous, I like the look of the motors that are tucked in the center of the bike. Basically I don't want to draw attention to myself from police, etc.
6) Budget $400 or under. Have a low to moderate level of DIY experience, and don't want to buy a kit that requires a lot of customization like drilling and welding.
7) Need something to last at least 1.5-2 years of daily commuting, 2-3 miles per weekday.

Given the above criteria that I am looking for, what would people recommend I start looking at as far as kits? 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, chain drive vs belt vs friction, engine size, etc? Different brands, stores? Chinese vs Japanese brands, etc?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I would advise you buy a chinagirl kit from your choice of the vendors who advertise here on the forum. If you review a few threads you'll see discussion of the merits of various sellers.

Entirely possible to do it on your budget!

and welcome aboard! :)
rc

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
If electric bikes weren't so darned expensive. I would recommend one. Sounds like the perfect thing for you. I wish i lived as close to work as you do. Have a 10 mile commute to work. I don't know why i did this but i pedaled to work for 6 months straight. Guess i thought i was Lance Armstrong or something. Anyway welcome to the forum. A china girl would probably be the best bet otherwise. Can't really recommend a 4-stroke because of the centrifugal clutch and recoil starting. Not real easy to restart at the bottom of a hill. But the bump clutch on a china girl would make it easy to restart.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Before you buy anything lookup your local laws. You can go to the legal section in this forum and should be able to find them. With these kits you tend to get what you're willing to pay for.