California Canyon Rider

GoldenMotor.com

forrman

Mar 5, 2011
Canyon Country, CA
Greetings! I just started my first MB kit -- 60cc Chinese 2-stroke mounted on my 1986 Montagna 18 speed mountain bike. Since this is my first project bike my main goal is to just get this completed and running good. If this works out then I want to build another MB, and install a skipjack so I can get some extra gears. I don't foresee riding my bikes on the street. I camp a lot in the California-Arizona-Utah desert and mountains. Do any of you know if OHV regulations cover MBs?

http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/drn2.gif

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum forrman, glad you joined us.

I ride OHV trails all the time here in my neck of the woods.
In Az a OHV is required to have a off-road plate, but as it was explained to me the law does not classify a motor assisted bicycle as a vehicle there for no off-road plate is required.

forrman

Mar 5, 2011
Canyon Country, CA
Dave31: Thanks for the message! I was thinking the same thing about the OHV laws in California, Arizona & Utah (and probably all the other states I will end up riding my MB). This is great to know because we can't always bring our dirtbikes when we tow our trailer, but we do still have room to bring 2-3 MBs in the back of our truck. This will be VERY cool!

Hey, have you ever heard of people organizing MB races or rides in the desert? I think I will post something on this site and see if there are people interested in hauling their MB out to the Mojave Desert (or some other riding place in So Cal), for an "MB Enduro." This sounds like fun!!!

drn2

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome to the forum! I think Dave is right cuz in California by law, these are not considered to be a "Motor Vehicle". Just don't be too loud and obnoxious off-road and you'll prolly be alright. Where in CA. are you?

Cheers,
scotto-

dnut

forrman

Mar 5, 2011
Canyon Country, CA
Scott:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in Santa Clarita, which is about 35 miles north of downtown LA. I usually ride my dirtbike in the Mojave Desert & Los Padres Nat'l Forest. Do you ride your MB off road? If so, where? My oldest son is a junior at SDSU and we camp in SD County about 3-4 times a year...

Forrman

brnot

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Dave31: Thanks for the message! I was thinking the same thing about the OHV laws in California, Arizona & Utah (and probably all the other states I will end up riding my MB). This is great to know because we can't always bring our dirtbikes when we tow our trailer, but we do still have room to bring 2-3 MBs in the back of our truck. This will be VERY cool!

Hey, have you ever heard of people organizing MB races or rides in the desert? I think I will post something on this site and see if there are people interested in hauling their MB out to the Mojave Desert (or some other riding place in So Cal), for an "MB Enduro." This sounds like fun!!!

drn2
Nothing in the desert but Death race is coming April 16th to Musselman Honda Circuit.

I do plan in July to race my BoXer in a Off-Road Rally in Mexico if they allow my motor assisted bicycle to run with the 450cc moto's. For the past several years I have had family time the race for me and I actually think if I run very hard I might be able to surprise those big thumpers with my little 50cc 2-stroke.