About Carburetor

GoldenMotor.com

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I was wondering if the white float inside of carburetor bowl, when it becomes
sinking from fuel inside it. Is this a common problem, and does a person have to keep
extra white floats on hand all the time?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
It does seem to be a problem some have experienced. However it is clearly a defective float and it should never happen. Once you get a good one I doubt it will ever leak and fill with fuel.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
Thanks GhostO for the reply. I have your SBP standard shift kit that I
ordered from you quite a while back. As soon as I gain a little more expierance
with the HT engines troubles I will be putting it on a bicycle project. The white
plastic float in the bowl lasted about 1 month running time in a CH80. I know it
was not the dealer fault and will order another one from thats dax. I have order
quite a few parts from you and Pablo.... and I am also waiting to try out that chrome
expansion pipe that I recently ordered from you. I think your products are great.
I know when I am done with the project bike it will be one sick bick.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have found that some factories never notice the seam in the floats when assembling
if the seam is on the bottom, it WILL leak...much less rate of leaking when the seam is at the top
after 2 bad ones, I started checking all of them
the seam is approx 2/3 of the way along the outside ring of the float ( I think it was dax who clued me into even looking :))

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
Thanks azbil, I first noticed a differance in the way the HT engine was running.
I really didn't think much about it because I was running an oily -fuel for break-in.
The engine had a smooth running sound and then it would kind of act like it was
getting to much fuel and would effect the performance. I kind of think that they
are alot more people out there that may not be aware of this until it is obvious
that fuel is flowing out the carbureter. There easy to check, so I know what to
check for this when I notice a running differance in my motor. Also to check for the
seam up like you said. Great tip

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
I recently had a simmilar experience,was running great and all of the sudden ....poop!...fart!----STALL!!.....I was thinking Fuel filter but thats not the fix.
Right now shes not starting but seems to want to.
tommarow I will check the carb and float,I had it flood a couple times before do you think it is as simple as the float?...im probably over thinking this again.
how about a plugged exhaust?...I doubt it,fouled plug?....possible....SCRATCHING MY HEAD,OUT OF DAYLIGHT.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Bad plug wire? Junk in the carb needle and seat? Lost connection in the wiring? If you have one of those Catalytic mufflers ya they can and do get plugged up. Moisture in the float bowl? Just trying to give you a few idea's. Intermittent problems are the worst. Still have good compression?

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I am going with what GhostO and azbil suggestions. I am going to
check the plastic bowl for any signs of leakage and always make sure it
is seam side up. Any signs of leaking I will replace until I do get a good
one that does not leak. I just hope that I don't have to buy very many of
them until I find a good one.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I had one with fuel inside. Took couple months for it to dry out then I sealed the plastic seam with a soldering iron. OK for over a year now.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I have a Skyhawk Gt-5 with the new style carburetor on it.
I am waiting on a union gasket to mate it up with the carburetor
and intake end pipe. I took the new pastic float out of it and put
it in the CH80. I took it for a 3-mile ride this morning and the engine
is running smooth. So I am back riding a happy time.
I am going to hand drill a small hole in the old plastic float that
has fuel inside it and put a firecracker wick inside the hole I drill
and lite the wick. A china girl m-80....that out to be a bang.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I just returned from an 8-mile happy time ride.
The new plastic float in the carburetor bowl made
the running of the happy time engine great. My
carburetor jets were resized and by not having
fuel inside the plastic bowl made the differance.
So , yes something that simple did make the
differance.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I took the CH80 out for about 16 mile run this morning. It was chilly outside
so I wore my heavy flanel shirt jacket. My carburetor is now tweek in, correct color
to the sparkplug, good spark, good timing, cluth grips good. It is a smooth running
engine that likes to rev at the crack of the throotle with no ugh-ugh sound. I noticed
the gas milage is getting alot better. I am now ready to move on to the SBP shift kit.
Sadly the CH80 will be coming off the bike, for me to install shiftkit. I will take my time
doing this. The Skyhawk 66cc will go on the bike and I will break it in and tweek. I will
have to make a choice between 2 bicycles for the SBP kit 1. Rear suspension beach cruiser
or the maui downhill worksman. Which ever bike I find workable will have the nexus 8 speed
shimano internal gear. I want to thank every one that shared their tips and thoughts with
me and thanks. I am going to be very busy for a while.