My Second Jag Build

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First ride today. This is one sweet bike. So smooth and quiet you have to twist the throttle to make sure it's running. I'll ride it like this for a while to see if there's any bugs then blow it apart for paint and a professional upholstery job on the saddle. The stiching was a hand job I did 'cause the wife's sewing machine wouldn't handle the material; looks like something Dr. Frankenstein would have created but it is soft and rides well. I'll let a pro stitch up a real seat cover.
I'm just amazed how quiet it is with that long pipe and kit muffler welded to the end of it. For some unexplained reason it doesn't even have that pop-pop intake noise that you come to expect from a 2 stroke. Don't ask me why; I don't know. The tank is from a junk yard Yamaha MX 80 and with a little work adapted to the Jaguar frame very nicely. It holds 1 and 1/4 gallons and should give me a day of riding with no problems. Hope you like it even before paint which I've decided will be dark brown and beige. Norm gifted me with two of his headlight s which will be mounted Harley style to the front of the fork. The tail light is a truck clearance light.
Tom

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I agree with Rotor and Poultry. Is a great idea. Could ride forward to peddle, back letting the engine work or even have a passenger. (hmmm, foot pegs?) But not having your skills I looked around the net at some mini bike seats and they are cheap! Mini-Bike Seats and Accessories Think I might buy one of these for future use. Thanks Tom!

justus946

May 13, 2009
chillicothe, ohio
hey 2 door.
do you remember who was building a motor mount for the jaguar bike? some one was testing it too? I can't remember where i saw it!! are they done with it ? I would like one !

let me know please.
ken = justus946
[email protected]

ps. I ran a "31" ford 4 door !

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
hey 2 door.
do you remember who was building a motor mount for the jaguar bike? some one was testing it too? I can't remember where i saw it!! are they done with it ? I would like one !

let me know please.
ken = justus946
[email protected]

ps. I ran a "31" ford 4 door !
You've got mail...
Manic Mechanic is the force behind the Jaguar mount. MB Monkey was doing the review of the kit.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's where we are as of today. I've put a little less than a hundred miles on this bike so far. It is the smoothest, quietest one I've built and a pleasure to ride. Everything is complete except the brake light which I've had mounted and working but have removed it to do some changes to the rear rack where it will be mounted. The headlight is from an old emergency exit light fixture, 55 watt flood lamp style that lights up the road ahead like a motorcycle. It is augmented by two of Norm's headlights mounted Harley style. 3 headlights and there's no doubting what lays ahead of you. This is a 12 volt lighting system, except for Norm's lights which run off a small 6 volt battery, with a 12 volt LED brake light that you can see a block away. The chrome air cleaner is a cheap-o modification I made from a rattle can top. It was chrome from some chrome touch up paint I had laying around and with a little work with a Dremel and a self tapping screw, fit the kit air cleaner like a glove. Looks good and cost was nothing if you don't count the can of spray paint it came on.
I've bought the paint, now all I need to do is take the bike apart and start painting. Dark metallic brown and beige will be the colors. No more pictures until its finished. Hope you approve.
Tom

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Here's where we are as of today. I've put a little less than a hundred miles on this bike so far. It is the smoothest, quietest one I've built and a pleasure to ride. Everything is complete except the brake light which I've had mounted and working but have removed it to do some changes to the rear rack where it will be mounted. The headlight is from an old emergency exit light fixture, 55 watt flood lamp style that lights up the road ahead like a motorcycle. It is augmented by two of Norm's headlights mounted Harley style. 3 headlights and there's no doubting what lays ahead of you. This is a 12 volt lighting system, except for Norm's lights which run off a small 6 volt battery, with a 12 volt LED brake light that you can see a block away. The chrome air cleaner is a cheap-o modification I made from a rattle can top. It was chrome from some chrome touch up paint I had laying around and with a little work with a Dremel and a self tapping screw, fit the kit air cleaner like a glove. Looks good and cost was nothing if you don't count the can of spray paint it came on.
I've bought the paint, now all I need to do is take the bike apart and start painting. Dark metallic brown and beige will be the colors. No more pictures until its finished. Hope you approve.
Tom
Looks great, Tom. You sure do nice work. It looks like a comfortable ride and with that tank you can go a heck of a long way.
Silverbear

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow,
I just looked back at the first post in this thread and realized it's been a year since I bought that old used Jag. I've really enjoyed riding it because it is the best running one I've ever had but decided to tear it apart and finally get some paint on it. The tank, which I had bead blasted was starting to rust, had sort of a cool rat rod look but I wanted something a little fancier.
Here's a couple of shots as it looks today. I should have it back together by week's end and on the road again. Hope you like these sneak preview photos.
Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You do great work Tom. How did you attach yer muffler?
Dan,
Go back to page 2 of this thread, post #17. It shows the exhaust. The stock kit muffler is tig welded to the end of the pipe. I used a 5/16" 'I' bolt through a welded on bracket for a pipe hanger, just ahead of the kickstand mount.
Tom

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Tom,
Your color choice is great. I really like it. What is the paint and what are the colors? I'm guessing that was not a rattle can paint job. I'm in the middle of a Worksman build and am planning a cream color for the frame and black for the fenders. Your Jag has a nice classy look. A+
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey Tom,
Your color choice is great. I really like it. What is the paint and what are the colors? I'm guessing that was not a rattle can paint job. I'm in the middle of a Worksman build and am planning a cream color for the frame and black for the fenders. Your Jag has a nice classy look. A+
SB
SB,
That's old rattle can Dupli Color. They call it Sante Fe Tan and Cordoba Brown. Both are still available but they have reduced the size of the cans from 11 oz to 8, and raised the price a buck. There's six coats of each on the tank, all sanded with 400 then 600 before I shot several coats of Top Flite Lustr-Coat clear, model airplane paint, to protect it from gas spills.
Thanks for the kind words. I'd like to see some pix of your new build.
Tom