Something Old Something New

GoldenMotor.com

Dan67

Jun 23, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
She's not pretty or finished, but she's fun to ride. She's a 1950 Stratoliner, with other an 80cc motor and other misc. additions. I'm pretty happy with how she turned out, especially done on the cheap. I really need some ideas on a number of topics from sound dampening to brakes and front suspension. Hopefully this site will answer some of these questions.

Dan

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sound dampening- Cover the gear cover with a mouse pad. Medium rubber chunks between the fins. If you really want to go crazy, make a large volume airbox for the air filter, most of the sound you hear is intake, not exhaust.

Dan67

Jun 23, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The noise I want to diminish occurs when the clutch is released, but I'm not accelerating the throttle. Basically when I'm coasting. It's a whining, screeching sound that goes away when I accelerate. Thanks. Dan

Dan67

Jun 23, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
By the way for all you fathers out there, my 14 year old got to be the first to get her to turn over. The smile on his face was priceless. Happened this past Sunday, Fathers Day. Anything that brings a parent closer to his teenage son or daughter is well worth a toast and a cheer!
Now if he'll only let me ride it!

Dan67

Jun 23, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Engine gets really hot really fast. May be normal I don't know or have anything to compare to. Runs great. THis old bike is quite heavy, may be a factor. I'm tentetive to open the throttle wide. Any words of wisdom regarding the heat?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I'd pull the plug out and check out the color to make sure you are not running to lean. You might also want to spray some wd-40 around the manifold where it mounts to the cylinder and where the carb mounts to the manifold while it's running to see if you have any vacuum leaks. If the RPM changes you most likely have a vacuum leak and the motor could be running lean.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yep, sounds lean to me. Do what Fairracing31 says, then if you don't find anything, move your C clip down one notch.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
In this case, fuel to air. Gray is lean, white really lean. Brown to black is good, black and oily is too rich.

In the case of gas to oil, a richer (in oil) mixture will cause the engine to run leaner (fuel to air).

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
You are riding a bike with your engine in first gear.
when you are coasting pull in your clutch and no noise ,just like magic.

its just like a manual car in first gear,but with no other gears to switch too,unless you get a jackshaft kit for more gears.

Dan67

Jun 23, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Regarding the lean vs rich question, spark plug was black. I checked the air intake and the sponge and screen are clean. How can I get a better air to fuel mix? Is this why the engine gets so hot? Normal? It runs well, although I'm not getting the kind of speeds I've read about others having.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Black plug, running hot...what is your gas to oil ratio?

If you are running 16:1 or 20:1 I would try going to 24-32:1.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan,
Welcome to the forum. That is a classic bike and a great foundation for a motorbike.
Don't take the speeds you see posted here too seriously. Some are obviously overstated. 25/28 is a good figure to shoot for. Those 35/40 speeds are guys with small rear sprockets and maybe some engine mods, and a little wishful thinking to help. Keep in mind it is a bicycle, not a motorcycle and 25 to 30 on a bike is a good safe speed. Your weight and sprocket size will impact your top speed. What sprocket are you running now? Also you'll notice the engine will run stronger after the initial break-in period. The rings will seat and compression will increase boosting the power. Good luck, ride safe and keep us posted on your progress.
Tom