My brother's bicycle...

GoldenMotor.com

Jonah

May 8, 2009
vancouver
Greetings from Vancouver, BC. I'm really glad I found this great forum and interesting, helpul community. My brother passed away a few months ago, and I was floored to find out that he had left me his new 26" 48cc bicycle! it brought a tear to my eye when I took it out for a ride. It ran like a dream. A couple of rides later though, the throttle cable broke. I carefully took the cylinder/spring out and fished out the cable small stop. It's been a couple weeks now, and I just replaced the cable (and even got a new twist throttle), but the throttle isn't working. The engine fires right up when I disengage the clutch (fires right up WIDE open!), but the throttle feels like it's not working. I replaced everything just the way it was- cylinder sits right(greased a bit), spring's there, cable's seated in the cylinder, but it just doesn't feel "right"... is the cable too long? When the cylinder isn't screwed into the carb, it feels smooth, but when I lock it in....it won't twist "right". Hmmm....
Anyhow, I'd appreciate any help the members could provide to this newbie. I look forward to looking through the rest of the threads and posts, and hopefully I'll be able to provide some positive and helpful feedback too. Cheers!

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Welcome to the fun!

Sounds to me that the slide within the carb is sticking. Mine did that once before. If the cable is too long, you should see that by its ends, when its all screwed together.

Now if your cable is too short, all you have to do is carefully cut the cable housing off, from around the cable. The ones I got with my kit were like this and I cut about an inch off it. One way to tell if its too short is assemble the carb end first and when you go to assemble the throttle end, it won't make it and you'll be able to see just how much more cable you need. At least, that's how I did it.

Hope this helps.