China girl acting like its seized/has too much compression

GoldenMotor.com

Sneff

May 5, 2015
canada
I've been going through the forum and haven't seen anything quite like this.

So I've had my bike out for a couple runs now that the weather is nice, it's a 66cc china engine and it's been running great. After my last run I gave it some lube, greased the chains, a little wd in the control cables to keep them nice and a little lube on the crank gear (not on the pads).

Now today I went to take it out for a spin and it is extra hard to start, couldn't actually get it going. When pedaling when I release the clutch it feels like the compression has gone way up or that its partially seized. I tried taking the plug out and the piston moves freely and smoothly, doesn't feel like its binding or sticking anywhere. It's a stock engine, no high compression parts or anything. I also sprayed some cleaner down the exhaust, doesn't seem to be clogged Carb is also clean.

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why it would take over double the effort to pedal to get it starting?

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't know how many miles you have on this but compression will increase as it gets broken in.

A couple of things. Try a new plug or clean existing plug, and I hope it's not the kit supplied one. If still not firing up try gapping the plug down to 022

Also, before you start up, while sitting on the bike and with the clutch engaged bump the bike forward until you feel the upstroke and then stop there between the upstroke and the downstroke. Now your engine is "cued up" for easier starting. With clutch lever in and clutch disengaged proceed with normal pedal start up.

Sneff

May 5, 2015
canada
I know that they will get more compression as there worked in but this is a sudden increase. Last ride was fine easy enough to start now it has so much it will barely turn over.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Is your back wheel skidding when trying to start? If not then your clutch may need adjustment. Adjust at the lever before messing with the flower nut.

As long as you didn't change your fuel/oil ratio then you should be getting proper lube so no seizure.

It is a bit odd to have such a change in the feel of it. But good compression is good compression.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How fast are you pedaling before releasing the clutch? If less than 10 mph, that's your problem. With the increase in compression as the piston rings seat you'll find it necessary to pedal up to a higher speed before engaging the clutch. 10 mph is about the minimum you'll want to be going before trying to start the engine.

Do not start messing with the 'flower nut' yet. You'll get that advice but it shouldn't be necessary unless a faster pedaling speed doesn't cure the problem.

Tom

Sneff

May 5, 2015
canada
I checked to make sure the clutch was working fine. The rear tire isn't skidding but since my last run and now it feels like the engine has gotten more compression or that its dragging, just stiffer by a large magnitude. but with the spark plug out it cycles fine. I also had the head off and cheeked in the cylinder There's no signs of scoring or burning or anything. It's got me completely stumped. I've checked everything I could think of.

Clutch isn't slipping, chain rolls easily, back tire spins freely, engine turns freely without out plug, exhaust doesn't appear to be clogged, Carb is clean, plug is normal.

Also 2Door I am getting it up to speed for starting it.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Well, then I'm stumped. With my engine, broken in, I can feel the difference from one day to the next on a first ride of the day cold start when I'm cuing up the engine.

maybe you got gremlins but you should be able to start it up.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
kinda sounds to me as if it may be flooded. extra fluid in the case would account for the extra compression.
if not, crack the plug to only finger tight ... does it start now?
yes, im baffled.
no, check the flower nut as 2door mentioned.

Sneff

May 5, 2015
canada
It will turn over but it takes a ton of effort. after getting up to speed and even standing up for maximum effort its so stiff to turn over that it will slow to a stop in about 5 foot that is with the plug in with it out it turns over just fine. Also Legwon I didn't think of checking the crank case. to see if it was flooded I'll do that tomorrow. its raining today.

Also I will try starting with out the muffler on just for due diligence, wont run it with the muffler off just to see if I was wrong when I checked it.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
just a thought, but you are continuing to pedal while gently easing the clutch out right?

you're not just sitting there hoping it will start before it stops rolling