Old Fa.... Fogey Karts

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Well while it's true enough that due to medication changes I feel much more well and alert, pain under control & etc, my energy levels just aren't picking up at all and doing stuff still remains a struggle if not more so..
Today I headed off down to the township on my faithful Hercules tricycle and I hadn't got far before I realised that I'd forgotten my bicycle helmet. I almost turned around to go back and get it when the thought crossed my mind, 'So what's the difference between my tricycle and a mobility scooter?' Following this line of though I headed for the footpath (sidewalk) and rode the rest of the way into the township using the footpath instead just like mobility scooter riders do.

I always vowed I'd never be seen dead on a mobility scooter and really with my Hercules tricycle I don't need one. I'd been planning on turning my tricycle into a longer pickup truck type vehicle and raising the final drive ratio because it's very low and really a bit slow for riding in traffic. But as of today I've decided that I'm going to leave my tricycle just as it is and use it as my own version of a mobility scooter. Tomorrow I'll go around to the signwriters, pick up a couple of disability stickers and put them on my tricycle front and back. Electric assist is a possibility as I've got the bits laying around, though for the present time I'd rather not as I need to maintain a level of exercise to keep both me and my doctor happy.

Not having to dodge traffic is certainly nice and my tricycle's big wheels have no problems managing crossing transitions and the like so it looks like I'm onto a winner.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sounds like a good plan, Anne (that rhymes),
That's kind of what I have in mind with my hybrid trike, currently on the far back burner. Gas in back for longer rides out in the country and electric in the front wheel for in town and stealth riding. Don't want a mobility scooter... like having a sign on me that says "sick person waiting to die", when I want the message to read, "elder living the life" or something positive anyway. I don't think it is very often that mobility scooters are coveted by the young and hearty, but our rides will be different, Anne... admired with interest and perhaps with some questions and comments like, "cool!"

No rush for me on the hybrid bike as I'm not yet in need of a mobility scooter, but that day may come and when it does I will already have put many miles on my "fogy kart".
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That'll work, Tom, but you'll need to turn it into a trike to give the officer an excuse to let you go.
Mobility scooters don't come with just two wheels. Plenty of time to work up a conversion kit to turn it into an awesome trike!
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How about if I put training wheels on it? Oh, wait. That'll make it a quad and those aren't legal either.

Maybe just one training wheel?

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Was the title gonna be "Old fart cart"? That just has lyrical whimsy all over it!!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I don't recall thinking very much about mobility scooters in the past. I do recall a distant relative by marriage who'd been born with some sort of disability. She used one. If I gave it any thought, that's the picture I'd had in mind of the typical mobility scooter user.

But the mention of these things has me thinking that a lot of the people I see on these things are not folks who have an honest disability. Something debilitating that can not be fixed, and never could. It seems that these are folks who got fat and could not summon enough moxie to just do something about it.

I'm not trying to be contemptuous of these people. I'm just trying to describe what I see in plain language. If any contempt is justified, then our society as a whole can bear it, in my opinion, on the grounds that so much peer pressure exists to just do everything the easy way. This, in a nutshell, is why bicyclists endure more amused scorn than we ought to.

Most of the people I see in mobility scooters are not far beyond 40 years old or so. And they can't summon enough strength to simply walk around the Wal-Mart? They're not ashamed of themselves for 'needing' a cart that carries them over the level flat, paper smooth floors?

I can't blame anyone here who won't consider using such a thing. It's been perverted into a mark of shame. (Though the users aren't aware of that, seemingly.)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I don't recall thinking very much about mobility scooters in the past. I do recall a distant relative by marriage who'd been born with some sort of disability. She used one. If I gave it any thought, that's the picture I'd had in mind of the typical mobility scooter user.

But the mention of these things has me thinking that a lot of the people I see on these things are not folks who have an honest disability. Something debilitating that can not be fixed, and never could. It seems that these are folks who got fat and could not summon enough moxie to just do something about it.

I'm not trying to be contemptuous of these people. I'm just trying to describe what I see in plain language. If any contempt is justified, then our society as a whole can bear it, in my opinion, on the grounds that so much peer pressure exists to just do everything the easy way. This, in a nutshell, is why bicyclists endure more amused scorn than we ought to.

Most of the people I see in mobility scooters are not far beyond 40 years old or so. And they can't summon enough strength to simply walk around the Wal-Mart? They're not ashamed of themselves for 'needing' a cart that carries them over the level flat, paper smooth floors?

I can't blame anyone here who won't consider using such a thing. It's been perverted into a mark of shame. (Though the users aren't aware of that, seemingly.)
Yes exactly Blue. While there are about four local folk I can think of who really do need to use their mobility scooters because of disability. There are a lot more around here who would be much better off getting some regular exercise instead of riding around everywhere on their scooters.
As long as my legs keep working I'll keep with riding a bike or a trike to get around. I can walk, in fact I've just got back from a pleasant walk with my daughter, but my balance isn't good, I need to walk with a stick and if I walk too far my joints hurt. Working a set of pedals puts a different type of loading on my joints which I seem to be able to cope with a lot better.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
So my tricycle has been working out really well in its new role as an old fogey kart. Something that's very noticeable about riding on the footpath (sidewalk) to get around is that it's a whole lot easier. The roads in the town where I live have a fair sort of camber so steering a tricycle while riding on them requires more effort to stay rolling in a straight line. With footpaths being nice and flat it's much easier to steer in the direction in which you want to go. They have a smoother surface than the road too so my trike rolls much more smoothly and easily.
As compared with walking my muscles and joints aren't hurting so much now that I'm riding my tricycle which was the whole point of doing this, so I'm pretty darn happy.

For the first time I headed out on my tricycle to the rest home where Mum is under 24 hr care and soon discovered that the last third of the way is a slight but steadily ascending slope which soon had me puffing. Going back the other way was fine of course, - Weeeeeee!
So I'm going to mount up the 350 watt motor I've had hanging around to lend me a hand on the slopey bits which should make a difference.

I quite fancy being a tricycle terror :D

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
350 watts of assistance sounds like just the thing. Is it autumn there? Spring here in northern Minnesota. I wrote a note to a friend earlier which said,

" Just today the aspen leafed out with a lovely, soft green. The birch and maple are soon to follow. This is the time of year when young native people did their coming of age vision quest, "...when aspen leaves are the size of a beaver's ear". Just leafing out, in other words. Before the mosquitoes are terrible, after frost at night is done with and there is no danger of freezing is the time to go off alone without food, little water, a blanket and to be still with the Creator, "crying for a vision". It is something I have never formally done, but seeing the aspen today was a reminder that it is never too late to be quiet and seek inner guidance of a spiritual nature. Perhaps one of these years I will go off to Grandfather Island and cry for a vision when the aspen leaf is the size of a beaver's ear."

Be well, Anne and go easy with the pedaling. Just enough, but not too much... like Goldilocks- just right!
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Yes it's Autumn here Silverbear. We're still lucky enough to have the occasional clear fine day, but grey clouds, strong winds and rain are the more usual thing. Leaves are well and truly on the turn from green to gold with plenty of fallen leaves around for the wind to blow about and cover the roads and pavements. Mother Nature tidying up was how a favourite book from my childhood described Autumn.

As a woman of Celtic blood Spring is the time when life awakens and stirs rising up out of the soil and the Sun is welcomed again. It is a good time for vision quests, - I can readily agree with you there Silverbear.
For us Kiwis at the moment though Spring is the hope that waits for us on the other side of Winter. And for our marine type weather system Winter means storms from the sea and lots of rain. Not terribly fond of Winter rain, - it's best observed from my nice dry front porch with a hot cup of tea in my hand and the knowledge that a good cheerful fire is burning in the stove inside.

I will be careful not to over-pedal myself. I am enjoying the exercise, but as you say too much is not a good thing :)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Anne,

That sounds exactly like our winters where I live in Canada. Nothing like another storm front rolling in from the Pacific Ocean to dampen ones spirits and if that doesn't the accompanying rain certainly will.

The favorite joke/ bumper sticker is "In British Columbia you don't tan, you rust".

Unfortunately the States of Washington, Oregon and most of Norther California share the same weather.

Steve.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
.........Working a set of pedals puts a different type of loading on my joints which I seem to be able to cope with a lot better.
Yes, yes! I know just what you mean. I don't have a particularly bad back. But, like most people, mine will occasionally cause me some trouble. Bad episodes will leave me almost needing one of those mobility scooters. Yet riding a bike actually does help. Simply because the stresses are all different. Something similar happens with foot pain, too, for that matter.

Yet the non-bicyclists are simply not able to believe that it feels good and might even help get things back in order more quickly.

Anne,

That sounds exactly like our winters where I live in Canada. Nothing like another storm front rolling in from the Pacific Ocean to dampen ones spirits and if that doesn't the accompanying rain certainly will.............
Steve.
Yet to someone like me who is half-cooked by a good, strong Sun, that sounds so inviting.

I spent some time in San Francisco in my early twenties. There it's as you describe. But only for about 6 weeks in the heart of winter. And I do remember how that wet chill could sink into your bones and refuse to let go.

But I still prefer it to this midwest type weather.

Show me a sky with low, roiling clouds and I'm happy as a clam. I should have settled in the Pacific Northwest (or perhaps New Zealand) while I had the chance. But I've put down roots (and children) in this area and I'm stuck here.

But when I retire I'm putting myself under some trees and I ain't comin' out until they carry me out feet first.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
My trike is still been going strong and doing all I want. Getting off the road and onto the footpath (sidewalk) was a good move as I no longer have to worry about traffic except at crossings. It's easier going as well as I don't have the camber of the road to contend with and footpaths are a lot smoother than the road and they are pothole free too.
Pedestrians have been Ok with me sharing their space as I take up no more room on the footpath than some of the larger mobility scooters. I've been getting some nice comments about my Hercules trike too.

It's almost mid-Winter here we've been having cold squally weather with lots of heavy rain. Usually we would be getting heavy frosts at this time of year, but who knows what the weather is likely to do these days. I've already discovered that the windscreen and canvas leg shields I installed on my trike are not for decoration and really do make it possible to ride into a squally rain shower and stay relatively dry. Not that I make a habit of riding in the rain mind you, but in this case it was somewhat of an emergency that got me out in the weather. I should really see if that Chinese trader I purchased my windscreen from has any more of them as they really are good.

I haven't been around on the forum much as I've been ill quite a bit lately. As I get older this illness I live with is becoming more of a nuisance to me which is a real pain as I find I don't really have any left over energy to spend on working on my bikes or other projects. I still have plenty of ideas in my head, it just looks like I'm not able to do much about them anymore. From time to time I do still check in to have a look at what everyone is doing. I might not say much or post any comments at the moment, but I am still around and thinking of you all.

Hugs, Anne :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hi Anne,
I kind of thought you might be having a rough go of things lately. I guess it is part of our getting older, moving slower, laid low a bit more easily and taking longer o heal up when were hurt ourselves. Fasteddy, too, is having a lot of trouble with his knee, but seems to be on the slow mend.

I have no real ailments at the moment, but still find myself moving slower, feeling less motivated and napping more. I'll be taking over an apartment in town in a month and will be spending my summers and fair weather months here in the forest near a fresh water lake and the cold months in town at the little apartment. I spend more time thinking about the bike projects than actually working on them, but slow is good, too. No hurry for anything.

Wishing you all good things, Anne. Take good care of yourself...
SB

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada

This is wrong and hurtful in every way. To try and attach a stigma where none exists is extremely detrimental to those who need help to be mobile and active. Me for one. I can walk for a mile and look fairly normal when I do but if I try to go further, because of injuries and maladies, I will be laid up for days and be prone to infections. Should I lock myself up and wait for the next day and the ability to walk an other mile or should I use whatever I can to improve my enjoyment of life. The only pity that is needed is for those with your point of view and those that you prevent from being mobile because of your hurtful ramblings.

This is my mobility scooter. It is a wonderful piece of machinery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn4yOZ6789s

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I think the point was made that people who have genuine problems are joined by those who just can't be bothered to use their legs, and as such, the comment isn't wrong.

We have a neighbour who bought a scooter and she admitted she liked being idle. Now she's almost incapable of walking more than a few yards.

There's another one, hemiplegic, who has a scooter, but prefers to walk where and when she can in order to hang on to her ability to live without the thing.

One's a heroine, one's an idiot.