Pix of the 3+miles of road I ride before seeing pavement

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just thought I'd share a few pix along the way, this is one direction I go when I leave out to make the 8+ mile ride into town from my home.

Hasn't completely greened up here yet but its starting to look a little more like spring everyday.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Now we all know why Shan sometimes says it's okay to run loud exhaust.

The only ones to hear it would be those cows and they wouldn't complain. :)

Interesting riding place. Shan, have you ever ridden at night with a full moon and a clear sky? I'll bet that's a dry dusty ride in the heat of the summer. A good air filter would be a must have.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Reactions: mapbike

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That's my kind of terrain when I was younger.
Dirt and gravel.
I grew up riding dirt bikes and 4-wheeling in the desert.

I have this up for $2900 as I can't ride the thing.

It would sure make short work of your 3 mile driveway however and still be plausibly a legal 48cc motorized bicycle ;-}

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Now we all know why Shan sometimes says it's okay to run loud exhaust.

The only ones to hear it would be those cows and they wouldn't complain. :)

Interesting riding place. Shan, have you ever ridden at night with a full moon and a clear sky? I'll bet that's a dry dusty ride in the heat of the summer. A good air filter would be a must have.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom
LOL......! Yeah around here loud pipes dont mean much, and might just save your life since people can here you coming.

Of coarse when Im in town I do get lots of head turning and normally as I go zipping by at a good clip and a little loud I just get smiles and waves form peoe and even the local law officers.

Many people around here like loud vehicles, loud pipes on our trucks and some cars, we have a lot of bikers around here like myself and a couple of my brothers and we all have loud pipes on our bikes.

Im sure there are those who dont like it, since those people are everywhere you go to some extent, but I do try to be respectful and not make anymore noise tan necessary when Im riding in a residential area in town and m6 bicycles are much quieter at 30mph than they are at 40+mph when im really ringing them out down the street so since many city streets are 30mph speed limit zones, I dont do much damage and am actually quieter than most of the kids loud trucks and Harleys running around town.

If I could get my bike to perform really good with quiet exhaust I would, but thse two things dont jive with these little engines, top performance is loud and low to only moderate performance is quiet, which is fine for puttsing around town but Im a bit of a hyper type and Idont care for much puttsing, I have to speeds normally, Stop and Wide Open......lol!!!!
Been that way my entire life, was litterally running around the house walking on my own at only 7 months old and was riding a bicycle without training wheels all over an old drive in movie parking lot we lived close to when I was only 3 years old, never have had any quit aor much slow down in me.... I have mellowed as I have gotten older in several ways but I still got that need to go.....

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That's my kind of terrain when I was younger.
Dirt and gravel.
I grew up riding dirt bikes and 4-wheeling in the desert.

I have this up for $2900 as I can't ride the thing.

It would sure make short work of your 3 mile driveway however and still be plausibly a legal 48cc motorized bicycle ;-}
Yeah, nothing better than living and playing out away from all the crowds and noise of a town, Im a dyed in the wool country loving fella, Ill take peace, quiet, bugs, animals, dirt, rocks, cactus over loud neighbors, sirens, streetlights, high city taxes..etc any day.....lol

Dang KC, I figured that motoped would be your main squeeze when you got it done..... I really like how those look, just simply a small dirt bike with pedals.

If you dont mind me asking, why is it you cant ride it?

Ill bet someone around there will buy it from you quick if you advertise it.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Dang KC, I figured that motoped would be your main squeeze when you got it done..... I really like how those look, just simply a small dirt bike with pedals.

If you dont mind me asking, why is it you cant ride it?
I could ride if need be, but it would have to be a pretty big need.
My body simply can't take another hit and that is pretty heavy, tall powerful machine.

My son laughed at me about that so I let him take it for a ride yesterday afternoon.
He's 24, 6'4" ~190# of muscle.

He ran it into a car.
More on that later but he's not in the hospital or anything.

I can't afford to trip over the cat and take a fall on carpet so I don't want anything to do with riding that which really sucks, I was pretty studley back in the day ;-}

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I could ride if need be, but it would have to be a pretty big need.
My body simply can't take another hit and that is pretty heavy, tall powerful machine.

My son laughed at me about that so I let him take it for a ride yesterday afternoon.
He's 24, 6'4" ~190# of muscle.

He ran it into a car.
More on that later but he's not in the hospital or anything.

I can't afford to trip over the cat and take a fall on carpet so I don't want anything to do with riding that which really sucks, I was pretty studley back in the day ;-}
lol.... glad your son is OK... has he road much or was it just a freak thing that he ran the motoped into a car....?

Heck KC I figured you road all the time, sorry to hear for whatever reasons you cant risk a fall riding or otherwise.... take care of yourself bro.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Shan, if I lived where you do, I don't know if I'd ever go into town!!

Live the dream, my man -- live the dream!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
lol.... glad your son is OK... has he road much or was it just a freak thing that he ran the motoped into a car....?
He's an idiot that doesn't listen to advice.
Now he hurts like **** and I got a broken bike to fix.

Heck KC I figured you road all the time, sorry to hear for whatever reasons you cant risk a fall riding or otherwise.... take care of yourself bro.
I ride, I just won't ride bikes like the motoped.
I won't try to climb a latter with a roll of 90# rolled roofing or 2 bundles of shingles on my shoulder anymore either.

I have this 10G FiTo shifter 4-stroke shifter almost done and 2 electric 3-speed Rovers waiting to be built and I'll ride all of them, just not real far or for very long.

When you can't trust your leg to hold you up just coming to an easy stop and just fall over when it buckles you tend to take it easy.

You don't have to be moving to get hurt, a fall is a fall, they just really suck worse when a heavy running gas engine is trapped between your legs and has you pinned.

ANyway, back to the topic of the driveway...
If you need to travel x miles to get somewhere, little to no traffic and bit of a view beats traffic any day.

Just a quick question...
Have you tried a cross country shortcut?
You don't need a road, just a path ;-}

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Shan, if I lived where you do, I don't know if I'd ever go into town!!

Live the dream, my man -- live the dream!
Mark, I can tell you that I dont go into town anymore than I need to, I love being home, I have all my junk here and I just enjoy doing my own thang, Im not a real social kinda fella, instead of sitting around doing nothing but yapping with others I enjoy doing things related to my hobbies and just taking care of the things that need to be done at home, you fellas on this forum are who I do my conversations with, I dont know a single person around here in my area that has the same interest as I do so I don't talk to other people accept a few of my coworkers.

Honestly I cant image what it would be like to live in a city, I have lived in town before many years ago, but it was a small town and I didnt even like that.....lol

Im a backwood country boy at heart, this time of year I know of several types of edible plants"weeds" that are emerging and so even while Im out and about messing with my bikes or whatever Ill stop and pick a little this and that and snack on it....lol

Heck last week I dropped my chewing gum in the chicken house and thought I found it three times......!

Just kidding about the gum, but yeah Im living my dream in a way, I have a modest place, nothing fancy at all, I dont care about material things like big fancy homes and things like that, I dont think there is anything wrong with those things at all, I just like to live simple and not be in debt up to my eyeballs if I can help it, since Im just a regular working fella I try to keep m6 financial obligations small and then use the extra to enjoy life and my hobbies with, fortunately living where I do allows me to do things I could never do if I lived in a city or larger town.

Some would no doubt call my life slow and boring but I like it that way, I dont need to see the world, I just like to find way to enjoy my little piece of it out here in the country, just me, my wife, a few cats and some chickens.....lol!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
He's an idiot that doesn't listen to advice.
Now he hurts like **** and I got a broken bike to fix.

I ride, I just won't ride bikes like the motoped.
I won't try to climb a latter with a roll of 90# rolled roofing or 2 bundles of shingles on my shoulder anymore either.

I have this 10G FiTo shifter 4-stroke shifter almost done and 2 electric 3-speed Rovers waiting to be built and I'll ride all of them, just not real far or for very long.

When you can't trust your leg to hold you up just coming to an easy stop and just fall over when it buckles you tend to take it easy.

You don't have to be moving to get hurt, a fall is a fall, they just really suck worse when a heavy running gas engine is trapped between your legs and has you pinned.

ANyway, back to the topic of the driveway...
If you need to travel x miles to get somewhere, little to no traffic and bit of a view beats traffic any day.

Just a quick question...
Have you tried a cross country shortcut?
You don't need a road, just a path ;-}
Well I hope your son is OK KC.

I understand what you're saying KC, glad to hear you're able to get some ride time in when you have time.

Well, there isnt any such thing as ross country riding here in central Texas, yous have to hop a fence and tresspass to do that and we dont take kindly to that here, its a good way to get shot or at least get in a bind with the law.

Nearly every property is fenced here and a big majority of people here have livestock of some kind, Horses, Cattle, Bore Meat Goats, Sheep etc, I do ride many different County and Farm to Market roads, paved and dirt, avoid main highways that dont have a shoulder, but a couple of the, Farm to Market roads I ride dont have a shoulder but aren't heavy traveled roads so Im fairly safe riding them as long as I have a mirror on left side of the bike, we have 90 year old ran hers around here that are still driving around in big 1 ton farm trucks and they use the entire road most of the time, many of the trucks have those extra long extended mirrors for being able to see past the big wide cattle trailers they sometimes pull, I like to know when they come up behind me so I can get off road if need be, speed limit is 70-75mph here even on the narrow two lane back roads and I really dont want to take one of those big mirrors in the back of the head when they pass me....lol!

Id love it if we had areas where we could just get off the roads and go cross country, but only place I know I could do that here would be in far west Texas, its more desert like out there and lots more wide open unfenced areas.

when I ride one of my bikes to visit one of my brothers who live at our local lake, its a 25 mile trip one way and I take several different back roads but nothing real remote, just lesser traveled roads until I have to ride a few miles on shoulder of a main highway.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm glad for you that the road is not all washboard. That'd be an unpleasant ride.

In fact, it looks as though it was recently graded. By the county? If so, you've got a good county highway dept.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm glad for you that the road is not all washboard. That'd be an unpleasant ride.

In fact, it looks as though it was recently graded. By the county? If so, you've got a good county highway dept.
Yes our county here takes very good care of our roads, it does have a little washboard on it where they put some crushed rock instead of good Celeche Road base a few years ago, but most of the time its not that bad, and yes it was recently grated a few days after a rain.

yep dusty, rough and dirty road, but that is why I say my bikes take a beating than many others don't, and why I say that the way i do mine up may not be real fancy but my riding conditions have proven that what I do works good for making them as reliable as possible.

Loctite, good quality grease in bearings and proper adjustment of everything is what i shoot for each time I work on them and it works perfectly 99.9% of the time, even on the Huffy bike many like to call a piece of worthless junk, mine going strong with stock wheels and all the bearings since 2010 not a single failure and it has been through the ringer on these rough roads at 30+mph its entire life.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I would love to do that ride.
Yeah these roads I ride are fun ones for me, I rarely go for a ride that I dont see deer and sometimes I see several wild Turkey's, maybe a road runner or two, maybe some quail, usually always see a red tailed hawk or blue darter hawk, ducks on some of the stock tanks as we call them down here, most would say "pond" but we dont call them ponds, we have stock tanks, reservoirs and lakes down here.... as we call them.

I see several lizards and maybe a s ake 3ver once and a while this time of year, I have caught several rattlesnakes off of the stretch of road in the pix, Ive started leaving them alone here lately though, I used to stop and catch them, scare my wife half to death....lol

A local fella named Jackie Bibby who is a world champion rattle snake handler took a real bad bite a couple years back and lost one of his legs because of it, so far I never been bit but I dont want to either so my wife has talked me out of playing with them like I used to.

Here is a link some of you might enjoy, this is Jackie Bibby, lives about 25min from me, super good ole Texas boy, peoe around here are used to this kinda thing and a lot of us aint scared of much but older I get, im getting calmer and a little smarter or at least I think I am....lol

http://www.jackiebibby.com

And yes he drives the Cadillac Hurse as his main vehicle.

I dont see rattlers very often but now and then I do and have killed three of them around my house... dont walk around through the grass at night without a light or your rolling the dice...lol

Last edited: