Home made tuned pipe

GoldenMotor.com

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
I'm using an oxy acytelene welder with 1mm thick mild steel.
I went back and forth on going gas or electric since I can't afford both. In the end I figured I could do more with tig. That is pretty thin stuff, 1mm. I don't know if I can do that with tig. That is what made me want gas.

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
I went back and forth on going gas or electric since I can't afford both. In the end I figured I could do more with tig. That is pretty thin stuff, 1mm. I don't know if I can do that with tig. That is what made me want gas.
I would go with TIG because you can weld just about anything with it. Oxy is all we have here at school.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice job on the welding!!
Yeah, TIG welding it would be easy but time consuming, I tig welded my KTM pipe after cutting it up and re clocking the bends to make it fit without any blowouts but it does take a steady hand and gotta be able to set the pieces up in a way you can reach everything easily.

Another good way to get stuff like this together is brazing, this'll leave everything nice and smooth looking and the braze joints are plenty strong as long as the metal is cleaned and prepped before it's done. Brazed pipes also look great.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have brazed them with map gas and brass filler rod before. Buddy showed me that one can nonchalantly re-temper the metal there. In this case it was cracked metal. Never did break again.

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
Nice job on the welding!!
Yeah, TIG welding it would be easy but time consuming, I tig welded my KTM pipe after cutting it up and re clocking the bends to make it fit without any blowouts but it does take a steady hand and gotta be able to set the pieces up in a way you can reach everything easily.

Another good way to get stuff like this together is brazing, this'll leave everything nice and smooth looking and the braze joints are plenty strong as long as the metal is cleaned and prepped before it's done. Brazed pipes also look great.
Thanks a lot. I was a little rusty but I got the hand of it pretty quick. Its turning out better than I thought.

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
Ok so its all done except for the header section. The belly stinger and x-chamber are all good and the flange is moded to fit 1'' pipe. I have been having a hard time bending my 1'' EMT so I'm going to try this out. It should be 1'' I.D. just like the torque pipe is designed for. I will be able to bend it wherever no problems. I'll just cut off the nuts on each end and boom header pipe! Its 1 inch fip water softener connector. i got it here at amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00439HLG0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
This thing is a beast. When the power band comes on at 8 mph with 24 inch wheels and a 36 t sprocket it rockets up to 25-30 mph. My gps speedo skips from 10 to 20 mph. On gavel, it will "burn rubber" for about 30 yards. On asphalt it will pop wheelys and keep in mind this is with 6:1 compression, really low.

Also the quick steel is doing real well where I had to repair holes in the header.

For pics refer to this thread. All future posts will be located here.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=57995&goto=newpost

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Got all the sections together now. I will finish the stinger and weld it in tomorrow.

Pics

Pics are showing up as removed or deleted. You cannot move photobucket pics after posting or they show up as deleted or moved like this.