new help picking the right gear/set up

GoldenMotor.com

gbginger

Apr 2, 2014
gulf Breeze florida
i think I'm a little obsessed right now with this. iv been using AGK calculator to figure out what gears need to be in place to get the ratios I'm after.. and thats the problem I'm facing now.. I'm not sure what ratios i need. i know 12:1 for direct give but I'm going to use the 3 speed internal hub for this project. do i still stick with 12:1? how do i know how the lowest gear in my hub will be? i don't want a snail start when i get on the gas. i want the low end grunt slow cruise along with top speed. is playing around with the gears the only way I'm going to figure out what i want? or can someone point me in the right direction. thanks

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Such a great question. Someone will correct me if wrong (as I so very often am, lol) but I would do the math with the middle gear of the 3 speed rear hub and aim for 12:1 as a final ratio.

That will give you a good off the line and top end. Or at least optimal for your set up.

To do the math, have to count the teeth on the drive gear and know the ratio of your hub.

LOL @ "obsessed" Is kinda a thing and why we formed this club.

gbginger

Apr 2, 2014
gulf Breeze florida
ok this is what i have came up with. haha hope someone can understand what I'm trying to do and tell me if its going to work. first off I'm cutting and bending the down tube back to make room for my motor to fit the way i want it to which is straight up and down. it will fit now but only at a angle so this is what i have to do. already have chopped it up once and i can do it agin. second problem i ran into was finding any 50 tooth to put on the SA hub so I'm planning on taking the 22 tooth thats on it and welding the 50 to it to make what i need. and yes i know i didn't catch the grammar errors in my picture i just threw it together but you know what I'm talking about. never was good at spelling or grammar. the reason i chose the tooth count like it is was to try and avoid a big gear right in the middle of my art work of a bike. rather have just one big gear on the wheel instead of in the middle. tell me what ya think

gbginger

Apr 2, 2014
gulf Breeze florida
it is a murray beach cruiser. i bought it off of craigslist for 30 bucks. just needed new tire tubes. this is what i looked like when i bought it. then fixed it up and now its green.. but its about to all come off who doesn't love pictures haha its stretched 5 inches. lowered 2 inches and i cut out half inch out of my forks. you can see how close i have that tire to rubbing and this last picture is to give you an idea of what it was before to after the chop. so much more style