Help me design my 4-stroke Build

GoldenMotor.com

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
I already have a 4-stroke Robin Subaru Staton-inc friction drive, it's used and has been rained on a bit, but I think it's still reliable. (Anybody know how I can go about tkaing it apart/cleaning/regreasing the engine?)

The bike I would love to use is the Fito Modena GT

The only problem is that it has 24" tires, not 26" -- I can live with that, but there's a chance I wont be able to mount my friction drive on it.

Of course I'd remove the rear fender, and I asked bikebuyers and they said the space inbetween the tire and the frame is about 1". However, the mounting plate needs 1.5" of clearance

What do you guys think about how I'd go about getting the staton inc to mount ont othis bike?

Here's my idea so far... cut a notch onto the mounting plate so it would clear, but I'm worried that would compromise the structural integrity.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Are we talking about the Robin-Subaru 33cc 4-stroke? Or a 7hp R-S 4-stroke?

A little more info on what exactly you are working with would be helpful.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Sorry, the Robin Subaru Eh035 on a Staton-Inc friction drive kit.

And Mike B, I think you might think I'm talking abotu a 2 stroke china girl, the friction drive kit from staton uses no u bracket for mounting. They mount similar to a rear bike rack.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Sorry, the Robin Subaru Eh035 on a Staton-Inc friction drive kit.

And Mike B, I think you might think I'm talking abotu a 2 stroke china girl, the friction drive kit from staton uses no u bracket for mounting. They mount similar to a rear bike rack.
Yes the Staton fd uses a bent
Metal U bracket that the aluminum channel pivots off.
Are you talking about notching the 1/4" thick channel?

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Okay I made a mistake, here's the mounting plate I need, it's the part on the far left.

Here's where the engine mounts on the rear

And here's where it mounts on the front, the pics are kind of confusing, but I tried my best

So disregard my original post, I still fail to see the U-bolt, and that mounting plate is approx. 1.18 in, what do you guys think about me shaving some of that off to about .90in for clearance?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
So, you want to notch the U bracket for tire clearance and remove the fender?

Why not just get a bike with uncluttered seat stays?

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
So, you want to notch the U bracket for tire clearance and remove the fender?

Why not just get a bike with uncluttered seat stays?
Yuhp, that's what I want to do, and I sort of have my heart set out on this bike, that's why.

Look at ThatsDax friction drive installation video. At approximately 2:00 on the 1st video, he is grinding away the U bracket to clear the rear tire. His kits are made of steel. I would only do this if the U bracket is steel and not aluminum.

http://thatsdax.com/INSTALL_FRICTION_DRIVE_VIDEO.html

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
Like that! Exactly haha, thank you -- now I know it's plausible and won't weaken the plate too much.

I believe the statons are also steel, but I'll have to double check.
If it is aluminum, grinding away like that will cause it to bend (again) & weaken correct?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The Staton brackets are steel and tough thick steel too. As long as you don't have to remove more than half of it you should be good.

Do you already have the bike?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I am currently putting the Staton on an old Worksman. You can see it in the Cruiser section.

Before you pop for a new bike, check out Craigs list, I happened on this one for $75.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
I had a look-see, it looks good.

And thank I'm actually browsing CL right now...not much in my area that strikes my eye, except maybe this townie http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4251493010.html

Only problem is it's a bit tall, and got really thin tires...

EDIT:
Any input on this? http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fsx_1.htm
A little more modest than the fito modena cruiser, but it looks like if I mount the friction drive the suspension moving around could mess with the engine...

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That kind of suspension could work, the engine would move with the wheel. I don't think bouncing the motor around would a good idea though, not to mention shaking the gas tank.

Those 28 inchers are perfect for the happy time engines. I think they were designed for the "Flying Pigeon" bikes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Pigeon