Going to try SA 3 speed

GoldenMotor.com

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Im a broken record about these hubs.

Geared correctly as a jackshaft, they perform very very very well.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/torker-tri-star-3-speed-coaster-brake-hub

I have not tried this one, but SA fans should appreciate it.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/torker-tristar-sturmey-archer-3-speed-coaster-brake-hub

[engine ] -> [5 to 1 pocket bike/scooter tranny ] -> [Jack HUB] -> [Rear Wheel]

Its gotta be right hand side unless you mod them.

Sprocket size of rear wheel depends on diameter of course. (.75 to 1.33 coming from a 22 tooth tranny output)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Professor, that's a sweet setup. You obviously gave that a lot of thought and it has paid off handsomely.

bowljoman,
I've heard good things about the current Sturmey Archer hubs and have bought the 3 speed version for a build not yet on the road which uses an sbp shift kit. The big question has been whether or not the old hubs from the 1960's and 70's would hold up to either a driven rear hub or part of a jack shaft setup. The reason being that they can be salvaged saving one $80.00 bucks or so. I removed one this evening from an old English bike and the cost was nothing. My kind of savings!
SB

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
Thanks for the great info so far. I really like the jackshaft hub deal, but since this is a drum model I'm going to have to use it as a hub, and it should look pretty nice there too. I still think that in combo with centrifugal this should be ok, I'm not a racer or anything. Tonight I hope to have the measurements to get some spokes for it. I see spb has stock again. Unfortunately Its not riding weather till spring comes, probably especially with the internal hub. I tend to think cold effects it more than a cassette since its got oil in it, and it was 32F when I woke up

Last edited:

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Having it in the rear wheel would be my first choice.

And temperature has not made any difference - I have used the gears in worse winter weather than we have now. Keep oil in them though- they do not have actual seals.

I did buy a click shifter from Niagara Cycle and they have other parts for the SAs.
They are only about 30 miles from me.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
I'm not to the sturmey yet, but I did finally order the spokes to do the front drum. If I can successfully build that, then I'll attempt the sturmey next. It will be a little more complicated with it being a rear wheel and having the different sized hub dia side to side, so I picked the easy one first :) Hopefully my tedious measuring will have paid off with correctly sized spokes. This is uncharted territory for me. Looking forward to getting the rear and a shiftkit going. Thanks for the input so far!

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
Well, with the successful build of the front wheel this sturmey has been staring at me more often. I'm not sure I have the cash to lay down for the shift kit for a while, so I'm considering using the sturmey for pedal and brake only for a bit while I save a buck.

Can I mount a sprocket/rag on this large hub? I figured if I just cut the sprocket center hole larger ( much larger) I might be able to get it on there, like a sprocket ring more than a normal sprocket. anyone attempted this? I cant imagine there is a sprocket adapter made for this.