Which Straight Springers?

GoldenMotor.com

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
I have decided to go with straight springers. I hear a lot of reviews about bent springers not lasting that long and i dont want to keep replacing forks just to keep a bent springer on it. I have a huffy cranny 26" and i just need help finding the right straight springers. If anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated. Called up Huffy but they cant even tell me what the size of the stock forks on the cranny are.....2 calls with no help....really bogus. Prob my last huffy build, no doubt

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Are you talking about something like the Monark springers? If so, the Cranny has a 1" headset so the Monarks should fit.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Very similar to the Monark is the Sunlite Deluxe Springer, which was sold out for a long time but are starting to show up again. They are a little wider and can accommodate a 24" x 3" tire, apparently, and have disc brake mounts built in.

According to the Sunlite website there are two versions, a 25.4mm (1") threaded version and a 28.6mm (1 1/8") threadless version. The 1" would be the one you want. But the only set I can find in stock is on Amazon, and it says they are 1" and threadless. Probably just an error in the description, but you never know. Those are $152.75 shipped, but I have no experience with them and so not know anyone who has them mounted. For about $20 you can get the Monark II from VMB which we know works fine.

Other than those, I do not know of any mass produced "straight" springers offhand. A lot of people make their own, though. A handmade leaf springer always looks nice :)

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Great to know, Powertool! Is yours 1" threaded and does it fit a 26 inch wheel? If so, I may upgrade my beehive to one. Apparently they can accommodate a wider tire than the Monark.

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Has anyone used a Cuda Double Springer Fork? I was thinking of checking them out but not sure how they compaire. I found them at http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike-parts/bicycle-forks/cuda-double-springer-fork---raw-metal.html
I am also wondering if you need to or can drill any of these (Sunlite, Monark or this Cuda) for a regular rim brake, V Brake or if you have to go with a disk brake for any brake option.
I use the Monark and love it! It's set up for both a disc, and a drum brake. And yes, you can convert it to V-brake. You just need one of THESE. Although I think they look hideous, and a good hydraulic disc is far superior and pleasing to the eye.