1952 Schwinn Next build Maybe?

GoldenMotor.com

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I've obtained cranks from the local dump (ok, transfer station) for free. I've had to take the complete bike on occasion, but you can't beat free. These have been for regular bike rebuilds, not motorized bikes, but the principle still applies.

And if you paint that thing, take detailed photos of it first, then paint it like it originally was painted.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
some good news I hope I just relized I have a crank set in a old murry frame that I was about to junk so this afternoon after I get some sleep Im going to do my best to pull it and hope that its wider then my schwinn one thanks for all the help all

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
To use a three piece crank you also need an adapter since the diameter of the bottom bracket is different. Starts getting expensive. Cheapest would be to find a crank set from an Asian bike. You can probably find one in a girl's bike for cheap. Next cheapest is an extra wide one piece crank set (forget who sells that, but will try to remember) at 30 some bucks not counting shipping if I remember right and most expensive would be the three piece with adapter.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
some good news I hope I just relized I have a crank set in a old murry frame that I was about to junk so this afternoon after I get some sleep Im going to do my best to pull it and hope that its wider then my schwinn one thanks for all the help all
You might want to measure it first. Depends on where it was made. If it is U.S. you're probably out of luck. If it is new enough to come from overseas you just might have a winner!
SB

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I just relized I have a old 3 speed murry that I was about to scrap with a one piece crank. So Im going to take it apart this afternoon after I get some rest since I was up till 5 this morin and had to get back up a little after 7 to do some things. so I have my fingers crossed its wider just a little over my schwinn crank

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
damn Im pretty sure its from the 70s the only thing I was keeping off the bike was the rear wheel its a 3 speed but it is a girls bike does that make a diffrence?

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
thanks to my wife letting me get the crank out of her bike I got the schwinn running yesterday and took it for a test ride. Today Im going to button up the wiring and find my cam and get some pics of phase one of this build.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
went for about a 6 mile ride after work tonight road about 3/4 of a mile up Western here in Chicago and was easily able to run with traffic. Im going to have to get a accurate spedo for this bike to keep myself out of trouble I have less then 50 miles on the motor and it is already near the same speed my huffy was with 250+ miles on the engine. the puch head also gives me some good low end power for less then 70cc.

Because of this I have decided that my cheap tires are not good enough so next check Im going to order some better tires and Im going to order a Schwinn style springier front fork that I can add a front brake to sooner rather then later. was going to do a Jake exhaust next but with the performance that Im already seeing I better worry about safety first and the last of my power adders last or you all will be seeing me on the news getting myself killed lol.

the only thing that Im not liking other then those 2 things is the engine is not as smooth as either of my first 2 dax motors but I believe that is because of my piston mods and it is still way better then any other motor assisted bicycle I've road to date. IMHO it can only get better from here as I keep tuning and as the motor breaks in.

one last thing I have to say I really enjoyed my huffy but Olblue gets many more looks and thumbs up then the huffy ever did its funny because I've had everyone from young boys to older women smile when they see it. I believe that this bike will go a long way to getting me builds next summer and if I play my cards right maybe over the winter.

Tuesday ( the begging of my 4 day weekend ) Im going to pull the head off just to check some things I have a pinging noise ( that I believe is the bike itself but not sure ) that Im not use to hearing just to make 100% sure its not some slight piston slap on the head.

I do have one question that maybe someone can answer if I put a 2nd gasket at the base does that improve top end power or low end power? I hope low end but with my luck it will be top end lol.

for pics of my bike go to my face book page add me as a friend and comment on what you all think so far.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I did not think about that and Im sure Ill keep posting pics here I just sometimes have such a hard time getting my pics to post here that I get agravited trying to lol never seems to work the same way twice with my cam on this site lol. I know its not the site its me being dumb with this cam that can do to many things and about the only thing I can do twice in a row with it is point and click lol.