Motorized bicycle at the AMD World Championship of Bike Building

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I recently saw a picture of what looked to be a 1910ish Indian motorcycle at the Europe round of the AMD World Chamionship of Bike Building (For anyone that doesn't know that's a pretty big event where you see the most innovative and wild motorcycles in the world). The picture I saw was only of part of the motorcycle, and it looked a little odd. I had a feeling it was either a tribute motorcycle or motorized bike. Info and better pictures of the bike were hard to find but I finally found details of the bike and a couple of better pictures.

It turns out its an Indian tribute sidecar with a Honda GC 160, 28 wheels with Schwalbe tyres. It has cranks but they appear to just be used to start the engine. It has a centrifugal clutch.

The bike is called "Whiskey Runner" and is built by Flame-Art Designs out of Ireland.

When I saw this bike I immediately though of Silverbear and Fasteddy.

I can't post direct link photos but I have this link to a Facebook page of photos. Hopefully it works, the photo is about 5 lines down, there are two photos. Enjoy

http://m.facebook.com/irishmotorbik...43411.152483.190536927628657&_mn_=11&refid=17

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Did you click on the link? I don't think you need to be a Facebook user as the Facebook page I was redirected to I wasn't signed in under my Facebook account so I guessed it would work for non Facebook users.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That's a shame, unfortunately after scouring the Internet for info and pictures the only place I could find photos was on Facebook. The event only just happened this past weekend so I'm sure photos will be up on the Internet soon, when I see them ill update this thread with new pictures as I'd also like to see more photos of the bike.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I have the 1st show coming up for the Indian (my Blood Thursty Redskin ) on fathers day then another in Aug. Maybe? I can get some coverage like the bikes Harry posted, we'll see thanks for sharing Harry

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
It would be good to get more coverage of the bikes on this page, people like Cobrafreak had success at a big show, Lurkers VTwin also got some attention. Maybe some of the builds like Wozzawats "Maytag build" and TomG "Vintage engine build" are unique, hand built and could probably hold its own against some of the best "show" bikes in the world. I would love to see more motorized bikes/small motorcycles at big events.

Good luck with your bike at the show Trukd, keep us posted.

Last edited:

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
The classes of the shows will make or break your success. I won at a bicycle show a first place win because they had a best motorized bicycle class. There were not many to compete against. I won two first place finishes at a vintage motorcycle show two years running because they had a "other" class. There are not a lot of bikes in the other category. At the EasyRider show, they have a Judged class and a People's Choice class in each category. Although I won a best display from the panel of judges, which was an honor, they historically won't vote for anything other than Harley Davidson. The People's Choice however was my ticket. People vote for what they like, and if you are a stand-out from the rest (I was) you will get a lot of votes. A good display goes a long way to keep the thought of your bike in the back of peoples minds. I had vintage music and war sound effects streaming off a 45 minute endless loop I made. Nobody had anything audible for people to hear. I had crowds around my display because of this. Vintage clothing also helps. People see you and they say, "That bike must be yours". So it starts conversations. It's just luck, politics, presentation, and how the rules work that will determine how you do.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I wish the shows had dedicated categories for motorized bicycles or ultra light weights...

-Kirk
Some of the competitors probably wish they had a motorized bike class also. I feel a bike like yours and the others I mentioned would get as much, if not more attention than the next guys $100,000 Harley that never gets ridden and was built by someone else. That's just as satisfying as a trophy isn't it?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Some of the competitors probably wish they had a motorized bike class also. I feel a bike like yours and the others I mentioned would get as much, if not more attention than the next guys $100,000 Harley that never gets ridden and was built by someone else. That's just as satisfying as a trophy isn't it?
What you describe would be a little satisfying, But I wouldn’t feel as good about diverting attention from someone with a authentic antique...

Found a Whiskey Runner video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCY4tPFVUzw

-Kirk

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
What you describe would be a little satisfying, But I wouldn’t feel as good about diverting attention from someone with a authentic antique...

Found a Whiskey Runner video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCY4tPFVUzw

-Kirk
I actually meant taking some attention away from some of the big dollar choppers that are just trailer queens, I never meant an authentic antique.

Nice find with the video MrB, unfortunately my Internet is slow at the moment and won't load the video, ill try again later.

I've seen more pictures from this show, and I've seen another bike if love to know more about. The style of the bike was a bobber/boardtrack style bike, what intersted me though was the engine, it appeared to be a very large antique stationary engine, a little like those Hit and Miss motors with the massive flywheel.

I've tried to find more info on the bike but nothing so far. I did however read a summary of the show and mentioned briefly a few bikes: they mentioned a bike with an engine from a Honda generator, obviously that is Whiskey Runner, but they also mentioned a bike with a 1920's boat engine, I'm wondering if that us the bike I've seen???

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Harry,
Thank you for thinking of us when you saw the Whiskey Runner. What a wonderful build.

When I saw the video Mr.B posted, my first thought was, the bloody heathens have gotten to the whiskey and made off with the keg.

Steve.