79cc by the book

GoldenMotor.com

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
So I'm building a bike for my wife to ride when we're at the beach. This will be my second build. First attempt at a 4 stroke.

The purpose of this build is to build a comfortable, reliable bike. I am also planning the build to follow a simple plan. This is a build that will be done without a machine shop. I will need to weld up the exhaust though.

The bike and the engine are sitting in the back room of the house. I have a few orders placed for the other running gear.

The equipment:
Micargi rover with springer fork.
Predator 79cc engine. I have removed the governor.
AGK camshaft, motor plate, clutch, and throttle linkage.
Sportsman sprocket adaptor with 56 tooth sprocket
emt conduit exhaust
Heavy duty 48cc engine mount.

I still need to sort out a couple things. I'm not sure how long of a throttle cable I need. I'm also going to need better brakes up front. I don't have a lot of cash right now, so I'll be going with a basic caliper brake. Lastly, the bike will need wider cranks. Not sure at the moment how wide I need to go or how I want to get it done.

I will post pics and such as I go. Wish me luck! .wee.

Mike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good luck with the build, Mike. I hope the lady enjoys it and she will if you stick to your plans.
Keep us informed of the progress and maybe a vid of her first ride?

Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Few things. First, if your wife has no prior riding experience, don't you think maybe a 79cc is a bit powerful for a first bike, especially with all those performance parts? Even for a man, its quite a powerful bike to learn on. Second, you'll need better than caliper brakes. Trust me, I just built a 98cc and knowing how powerful it is, wouldn't run it without my front drum. Please get some decent brakes for it, no matter who rides it. On the pedal crank issue, you can bend pedals yourself at home with a propylene (yellow cylinder) torch and a bench vise. This is how I did mine. Torch and canister together cost me $50 at Lowe's. Good luck.

mark880088

Feb 22, 2010
Springfield Illinois
So I'm building a bike for my wife to ride when we're at the beach. This will be my second build. First attempt at a 4 stroke.

The purpose of this build is to build a comfortable, reliable bike. I am also planning the build to follow a simple plan. This is a build that will be done without a machine shop. I will need to weld up the exhaust though.

The bike and the engine are sitting in the back room of the house. I have a few orders placed for the other running gear.

The equipment:
Micargi rover with springer fork.
Predator 79cc engine. I have removed the governor.
AGK camshaft, motor plate, clutch, and throttle linkage.
Sportsman sprocket adaptor with 56 tooth sprocket
emt conduit exhaust
Heavy duty 48cc engine mount.

I still need to sort out a couple things. I'm not sure how long of a throttle cable I need. I'm also going to need better brakes up front. I don't have a lot of cash right now, so I'll be going with a basic caliper brake. Lastly, the bike will need wider cranks. Not sure at the moment how wide I need to go or how I want to get it done.

I will post pics and such as I go. Wish me luck! .wee.

Mike
I'm just starting a 79cc build also. Lets share info. [email protected]

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
How did you get a performance cam for your 79cc predator ?
i looked on agk website.

If they do make them available im gonna buy the cam and performance head from there, only thing is that im a little unsure of how to check piston to valve clearance.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
You seriously got me excited there, I'm gonna email them see if they have anything in the works.

I watched a couple of vids on you tube, but it I'll be helpful if I saw one on small engine like the predator

Can't wait to see how your build turns out =), these types builds with predator engines are becoming more and more popular

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
http://motorbicycling.com/picture.php?albumid=1257&pictureid=7159

So...

I'm pretty happy with the result of this project thus far. The micargi frame seems like it will hold up.
I like the heavy duty engine mount. I had to cut the frame mounts a bit because the frame was a bit wider than 70 degrees. The AGK mounting plate fits like a glove.
The caliper brake is a bit on the weak side. It is functional, but it's not ideal. I do like the way it looks with the chrome springer.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
LOOKS GOOD!
Have you gotten her to ride it?
I cant get my gf or let alone my friends to ride my predator, there afraid of all the spinning and moving parts and not to mention the exuast noise

How are you running ur exhaust?

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
I have been able to ride it around the neighborhood a few times. It runs nice and smooth. Enough power. And motors up the steep hills we have around here. This bike is super easy to ride. No pedaling at all.
I will have to make a shroud to cover the primary drive. The exhaust is a bit loud, but it sounds like a little Harley.

How did I do the exhaust? I cut the flange from the stock predator pipe. The rest is made of 1.25" mandrel bends. I know it is way too big. I went be for the looks. I plan on sticking a clamp on go kart silencer on the end. I had a local muffler shop do the welding. I marked the pipe, they did the rest.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Nice, these motors are really the perfect size for motorizing a bike.

I had a muffler shop do the same, then i wrapped the header cause i burned my self one to many times.
The pipe i got was also a little big, but it gives it that deeper note... I added a cigar style screw on muffler cause i was attracting negative attention. It ended up running better, guess it needed a little back pressure.