finally building a BTR inspired motobike

GoldenMotor.com

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
ive been into motorbicycling for a while now and have not had a chance to build a BTR replica due to lack of tools and funds. Here is what inspired me:

i have been gathering parts through craigslist and other discounted sources for about 2 years now and i finally have enough parts to start the build.

in this thread i will go through all my obstacles i have faced/ will face in my build.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
The biggest challange i found was the custom gas tank. up until recently i had no idea what i was gonna do for the tank, i dont know how to weld nor do i know anyone who can or who would be willing to help me fabricate a tank for a decent price, but luckily one of the members on this forum lives nearby and he gave me one of the tanks he made but wasn't gonna use! Thanks Maxvision! it was a bit rough but nothing a $12 can of bondo and some elbow grease wouldnt fix.

now that i have the tank, im gonna have to work backwards and get the frame modified to fit the tank. luckily Maxvision used a worksman frame to design the tank ( i beleive his is stretched 4"-5" ) so all id have to do is stretch the worksman newsboy frame.

it turns out i have a brand new worksman newsboy with a front drum brake hub that i got off of craigslist for fairly cheap (im a great bargainer!) i have been looking for a worksman newsboy industrial bike ever since i got into motorbicycling but have never been able to find one for am affordable price.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
next is the powerhouse, i wasn't gonna use the 2 stroke HT motor, i wanted something more reliable, i knew i wanted a 4 stroke. Those are pretty pricey so again, i have been scavenging craigslist looking for 1 for close to 6 months until i found a hua sheng honda clone, brand new. the guy had it installed on his bike but didnt know how to finish it so he was trying to get rid of it. again, im a great bargainer and talked him down to half his asking price for the whole kit. the motor does not look like a vintage BTR motor.... yet.... i have a few simple mods i plan on doing to make it look vintage.

next are the handle bars, i had a few options: flip cruiser bars upside down and viola! but no... i wanted a more authentic look. i contacted Pat over at sportsman flyer to see if he had any old stock bar clamps that he would be willing to let go for a discounted price, luckily he did! got the clamps! all i had to do now was find a couple of handlebar pairs, cut them up and clamp them.
found an old pair on craigslist and picked them up, the guy also had a vintage looking stem that he basicly gave away.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
this is going to be a long process, but by the time its finished, i guarantee it will be a head turner ;)

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
You have a good start on that bike, maxvision is a good man and very helpful.

Your only problem is that under powered engine you purchased... Should have gone with a 79cc or 99cc.... You will be disappointed with that 49....

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
You have a good start on that bike, maxvision is a good man and very helpful.

Your only problem is that under powered engine you purchased... Should have gone with a 79cc or 99cc.... You will be disappointed with that 49....
ive been looking at the 99cc predator or the lifan motors, but i dont have the experience to turn it into a motorbike. Believe me, if i coud, i would lol.

and yes, shout out to Maxvision again!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2013
RI
high man, i hope you don't mind if i lurk but i'm brand new at this stuff and i think i might could learn a lot watching you go through this process, ...and i really dig your inspiration bikes.

good luck man, i hope things go easy for you throughout the build.

peace, bozo

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Good start, the Indian your inspiration is my Fav motorcycle. That's basically the bike I draw from.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Nice style for the Handle bars but do cut the side bars down a bit,here is a pic of my Sportsman Flyer Deluxe #3 take a look at the bars,thats about where you want them.
yeah im not sure which grips/throttle ill be using so i cut them extra long just in case. ive been looking into internal throttles as well.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Internal throttles are cool but then you won't be able to use a barrel or coke bottle type vintage grip and be prepared to do some intrequite work, your best bet is to go with the 7/8" mini bike throttle and clutch or brake lever from Cherry, good, solid and vintage looking pretty cheap too!
bikemotorkit.com to the left and up the top of this page has a really vintage and simple throttle assembly, now if you want it shiny Blingly ?just break out the Dremel and some rouge.

Attachments

Last edited:

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Internal throttles are cool but then you won't be able to use a barrel or coke bottle type vintage grip and be prepared to do some intrequite work, your best bet is to go with the 7/8" mini bike throttle and clutch or brake lever from Cherry, good, solid and vintage looking pretty cheap too!
bikemotorkit.com to the left and up the top of this page has a really vintage and simple throttle assembly, now if you want it shiny Blingly ?just break out the Dremel and some rouge.
thats kind of what i have now ^^^

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I like it and am going to get one for the Black Jack polish it up or get it powder coated to match the engine I'd use what you got might turn out better then you think?

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
I got one of the last aluminum throttle assemblies from an online vendor who no longer carries them, it was in a really rough shape, the casting was terrible, but I did spend a good while sanding it so now it looks presentable

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thats NICE! Dude, I'd use it with a set of coke bottle grips BAM! get the vintage clutch lever like this,it's on my 1911 Indian tribute, you can check it out, Blood Thursty
Can't go wrong with astetics like these

Attachments

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Thats NICE! Dude, I'd use it with a set of coke bottle grips BAM! get the vintage clutch lever like this,it's on my 1911 Indian tribute, you can check it out, Blood Thursty
Can't go wrong with astetics like these
ive actually been following your thread lol. i still need to decide what color to paint the the bike, i planned on it being either red or maroon, like the 2 the examples i posted on the first page, but now gloss black might be an option. hmmm...

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Something few people are aware of ........
Indian NEVER painted a bike Maroon Or Bugandy there was lead used in the paint and as the bike aged the lead in the paint rusted along with the metal giving the appearance of being of Maroon or Burgandy so when a lot of people restored those bikes such as your insperation bike they thought it was that color and just painted it that color.
Indian painted their bikes Ox Blood Red, the color on my bike is a re-creation color exact to the color of Indian 100 yrs ago, when I chose the color a buddy who works at a powder coating co told me he had something to show me, when I got to the shop he had just painted a real 1928 Indian that made my mind up and I had to have the same color on my bike.
Since you don't have a period correct Torpedo tank but similar to a Dayton style tank I'd do some research on the Daytons and try to find that same DEEP BURGANDY color, don't get me wrong the two colors are nice but I think you'd be disappointed with the end result, the Dayton style would suite your bike perfect and besides no one has done a Dayton Btr(yes they're were Dayton Btr's)
Don't focus so much on this pic of the Dayton being a cruiser as to the color with the gold pinstriping, it would suite the style of your build and style of the Tank too!

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
If you do a black BTR think about this Gloss black frame,bars,forks and rims with matte black tank,oil box and a gloss black logo on the tank, then I've always been curious as to what a Burgandy fade to gloss black from forks to mid frame only everything else gloss black with the tank logo being the same color Burgandy as the fade, how Bad Ass! would that look.
I Guess you'd have to be a visionary to see it or just drw it out and use some colored pencils to test the water