Will shroud removal overheat my Lifan?

GoldenMotor.com

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
The stock shrouds on most motors sure take away from the vintage look most of us are after. Will removal of shroud and fan cause overheating? Seems I've read posts of some who have done this. How's that working for you? Wondered if a person could thread an oil temp gauge in the low oil sensor hole after it's removal. Just wondering?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I always remove the little shrouds from my 49cc HS bikes but leave the fan shroud on (for safety reasons).
As long as you don't let the engine run too long without to bike moving (to keep air flowing over the engine), it should be fine without the shrouds or fan.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Yes espically the HS 49cc jobs. They'er agricutural motors for stationary jobs like living inside a portable generator cabnet. The shrouds can go when sticking them out in the breeze. HOWEVER be carefull with that fan shroud. If your flywheel has blades on it you could end up losing body parts... Dont ask me how I know, I'll just tell ya. Read post 163 to 176 HERE: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39722&page=17

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Hey, Velo, that is what I was hoping to hear, I just think those shrouds make anything look like a lawn tractor no matter what??? I have lost enough body parts over the years, so I will play it safe. I do plan to remove (now that you told me I could) the fan shroud, and fan, but I will fab something that looks more "Pope'ish" to replace it and protect the body parts I have left. I am actually thinking of using a round pan-like shield that is hinged on one side and locks on the other. Open it to use a pull rope, snap shut to hide pulley, and motor on. Does that sound crazy?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey, Velo, that is what I was hoping to hear, I just think those shrouds make anything look like a lawn tractor no matter what??? I have lost enough body parts over the years, so I will play it safe. I do plan to remove (now that you told me I could) the fan shroud, and fan, but I will fab something that looks more "Pope'ish" to replace it and protect the body parts I have left. I am actually thinking of using a round pan-like shield that is hinged on one side and locks on the other. Open it to use a pull rope, snap shut to hide pulley, and motor on. Does that sound crazy?
Yes. Crazy like a fox. Lets see what you come up with. :)