First motorized bicycle build - Kulana MoonDog

GoldenMotor.com

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Inspired by biknut from a Sportster forum we are members on, I decided it was time to build myself a motorized bicycle. I found the bike for my project on craigslist. A guy bought a Kulana MoonDog 7 new, rode it briefly one time, hung it in his garage where it remained until the day I showed up to take it away. It was in showroom condition including the "R" and "L" paper stickers on the pedals and crank arms. So here is my first project bike, the Kulana MoonDog 7:

I decided to get the Flying Horse 66cc kit after reading biknut's posts. I thought a black engine would look best in the MoonDog.
I was surprised how, ummm, not excellent the engine looked out of the box:

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Re: First MB build - Kulana MoonDog

My Sportster has a black engine with highlighted fins, which I like a lot. So I decided to get out the files, sandpaper, stripper, etc and do a little cosmetic work. Engine after:

Based on what I've learned here, I've already changed most of the bolts and mounting hardware. Also, I did not wire the kill switch as instructed in the kit. I ordered a mini rocker STSP switch that I will fit in the throttle housing. For now, I wired a toggle switch to the blue wire and zip tied it to the handlebar stem.

Here is the completed installation: ...well almost completed.
I have run it only three short runs so far. I'm letting it cool completely between runs to improve the break-in process.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn

When my buddy and I got into motorized bikes, a Kulana Moondog was his first motor bike. That looks like a nice comfy ride.

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN

I think this is kind of funny...

Yesterday when I was running the bike, after a bit the engine seemed to get a little stronger and with a more powerful sound. I thought it was just loosening up and running better. Well today when I was checking it over I noticed the end cap of my muffler was missing. I found the end cap outside in the place where it started running "better". :)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

yea the painted engines like a little tlc, but that helps make it your own, eh? Glad you found your cap, smokers don't like not having any back-pressure for very long.

Gotta love black rims with whitewalls... mmm!

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Thanks all for the nice words. I appreciate it.

Today it was raining here so no riding. Things I did instead are listed below. Now I'm ready for a clear day to ride again.

1) Cut off one third the length off the little pipe welded to the muffler end cap. That pipe is a really small diameter and was still a good four inches long after cutting it. So I took the hacksaw and split it down the middle with about a two inch cut. Then I spread those ends about an inch apart. This sort of created a funnel on the end of that little pipe inside the muffler. My thinking is that the exhaust pressure will find it's way out of the muffler easier like this.

2) I had installed the engine with custom made rubber mounts (from hockey pucks) both front and back. Well that didn't turn out to be such a good idea. It allowed the engine to move too much when it was running. So I replaced the rear rubber mount with the kit supplied cast aluminum mount. I kept the front rubber mount. Now the engine is solid feeling.

3) I went to Tractor Supply and bought the #41 roller chain. I replaced the kit supplied #415 chain with the TS #41 chain. I don't really like how wide the #41 looks installed on the 1/8 inch sprockets but others here say they like the #41 so I'll give it a go before making a final opinion.

It was amazing to compare the two chains side by side. The kit supplied chain has rollers that look like they were actually made for the #410 chain since they fit so loosely. Also, the inner plate does not fit tightly to the outer plate in the kit supplied chain. The #41 chain was made without any of this loose fitting slop anywere. The rollers fit firmly inside the plates and the plates fit snuggly together. The kit supplied #415 chain seems like it would just fall apart compared to the nicely built #41 chain.

Last edited: