The Huffy build

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Ok here is the start of my build...

The only part I have done so far is switch out the front forks, but that is a start.

The base build start.

New forks.

The tank I plan on using with a face lift done to it.

What the tank will look like somewhat, but not the color.

I plan on putting a brake drum front wheel and the rear wheel with a sprocket solid mount adapter with coaster brakes. Both will be 26" x 2.125" with 12G spokes. Not sure which engine kit I will go with.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
You're starting with a nice bike for the job.

You know, Huffy's are better than they're given credit for. They stand head and shoulders above the other 'entry level' bikes. I'm on my first Huffy MB. But amongst pedal bikes, they've always been my favorites. Even over bikes that would seem to be more impressive.

I'm still pretty new here on this forum. But I've noticed that there are a lot of Michiganders here. It's my home state, but I haven't lived there for about 30 yrs now. Until not long ago I still had a slew of relatives and friends in the Grand Rapids, Jackson and Detroit areas. But now they've mostly died off and MI is more or less lost to me.

You guys are making me a bit homesick. But it's also nice to think about places like Howell and all those others.

Anyway, you got a nice bike there. You're bound to have fun.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I got the tank in but I'm not totally sure if it looks right for this bike.

Here it is sitting on the frame.

I would do a face lift to cover the gap here...

So what do some of you think, I know the color sucks and that would be changed for sure.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The tank is fine, but regular spraypaint will bubble and peel off. some here have had success with fuel-proof paints on plastic tanks, but its not easy or cheap. I would change the color of the bike to match with the tank. Green or black. the front fork is already black, and i think the whole bike would look good that color. I would also move the tank further up towards the handlebars. leave a small gap between the tank and the stem, maybe a quarter inch so the headset doesnt rub against the tank when turning the handlebars. I also have a plastic tank, and here is what i did to mount it. I took a piece of metal strapping and two nuts and bolts. I put one bolt through a hole in the strapping to bolt the tank down onto. I used the other nut and bolt to bolt the strapping around the top tube of the frame. so when its done, you have the metal strapping bolted around the frame with another bolt sticking up. take the tank and slide the hole in the mounting tab over the bolt thats sticking up, and bolt it down. you may need a large plastic or metal spacer between the frame tube and the tank if the tank sits on the top tube cockeyed, as mine does. Im sorry I dont have any pics to show, but hopefully you can understand my explanation.

DirtySouth

Aug 26, 2012
Louisiana
Great start! I too am new here. I just purchased a huffy for my first build. I plan to start the build thread in a few days. I'll keep an eye on this thread for your progress.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I have done a little more to the Huffy. New handle bars, center stand, mirror and rear cargo rack.

Waiting on a laid back seat post and my new rims. Front a 26" x 2.125 with Drum Brake and the rear will be a 24" x 2.125 coaster brake with a bolt on sprocket adapter (40T).

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Took the bike out for a longer ride today and found that the gearing is all buggered up (way to low). Going to have to change out the 21T rear sprocket to a 18T or 16T to get it back up where it should be for the human power side of it.

So I will have a 40T front sprocket, either a 18T or 16T rear sprocket with a 24" x 2.125" rear wheel.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
low gearing can be helpful. It will make it easier to pedal from a stop as well as uphill. If you have a lot of hills where you live or are a bigger guy like me, speed is not helpful on the human power side. you dont need to be able to pedal fast on a single speed bike, you need to be able to pedal with ease. Also, if you are installing a motor, you wont be using pedal power that extensively to worry about changing your gearing. Still, if you aren't going to use the 21t gear, I am willing to take it off your hands. If you want to get rid of it, I can pm you my address and you can mail it to me.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
This is like being in first gear low of a 3 speed hub, but not that low.

This will give you an idea of what I am talking about.
http://www.uscoles.com/threespeedgearing.pdf

Read the section under "The Three Speed". My gearing on this bike before I changed the rear wheel was 41.05/54.74/72.80 (1st/2nd/3rd) and now it is 45.71 with the 21T. I want it back up near the 54.74 which makes the bike enjoyable to ride when using human power.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Here it is so far...

Still waiting on the new front wheel and I need to order the engine kit plus the sprocket adapter. I'm really starting to like how it is turning out.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Here are a few of my solutions to problems that came up.

For the stem I just got some spacers and installed them instead of trying to cut down the tube. I also used a bearing cone nut upside down to keep the springer forks adapter lined up.

Now the heavy duty moped style mirror I couldn't get tight to save my life. What happen was when you tightened it down on the handle bar, the mirror stem just rocked back -n- forth. So I notched the lock ring and used a second nut to push the lock ring evenly against the stem.

Attachments

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
Looking good. I have yet to figure out the lights and mirrors for mine and your providing some insight to those tasks. Although, mine is almost running but far from ready to ride. I will keep watching yours.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
love the bike so far the seat is the same as mine and its awesome to ride on so much better than the stock "comfort" Schwinn seat i had on it i would love to know how the motor works out for you

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
love the bike so far the seat is the same as mine and its awesome to ride on so much better than the stock "comfort" Schwinn seat i had on it i would love to know how the motor works out for you
Yea, that seat is great and it looks good on the bike the way it sits now. Hoping that it will fit in there without have to change allot. We will see as I am now waiting on it to come.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i have a layback post on mine also its great for my reach but its made the bike a little tall so im going to work on shortening the seat tube because i cant get the post down any more.