New in-frame chainsaw build

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Here's the engine stripped of its fluff. Now it's time to get hacking the thing up.
I am interested in gearboxes but not 90 degree. A good primary gear reduction box would be good.
So far the only suitable one's i've been able to find that would work are HUGE!!! Suitable for go-karts but not bicycles.
I'm kinda in a crunch for space right now unless i give up on this frame and find something else.
Might look at one of those little 5:1 go-ped gearboxes like Dax sells.
=_utf-8_B_SU1BRzAzNTAuanBn_=.jpg

They have a 3" clutch bell already mounted, and the output is reverse rotation of the input.. If your sawmotor has a 3" clutch you might could adapt one of these to your motor. They do add a couple inches to the width, but most anyting out there does. Maybe you could figure out a way to mount a box like this where a jackshaft would be and save some width.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Man this new frame is beginning to get on my nerves. The engine fits nice and snug, but no overly tight. The problem is that by the time i'm done everything is going to be so wide. I 'm just glad no one has said "I told you so". I guess i should stop moaning and get to it though. The bike is pretty perfect otherwise. Hopefully this weekend i'll get some serious work done. Finish mounting the engine and get the jackshaft mounted.
No one here says "I told you so".

Many people watch each other's build, learn from it. They can incorporate your ideas into their build and avoid the mistakes.

The 5:1 pocket bike/goped tranny looks promising. It's about 3.25" wide. Mounted parallel to the engine shaft, it would narrow the chain line a like amount.

Last edited:

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
I wasn't only thinking of anyone on the forum. My supposed friends like to do that sort of thing all the time. They like to say "I told you so" but don't offer any helpful advice. Yes it has a 3" clutch. May also be able to actually get 4 mounting holes on it as well without drilling into the crankcase. Drilling into the chain oil tank is not a big deal. Not going to be used anymore anyway. Thank you for the suggestion wayne z. Dumb question, but don't some pocket bike engines come with similar gearboxes? I only ask because there is someone not too far from here who deals with pocket bikes. Nothing against Dax but if i can save a little on shipping i will.

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I wasn't only thinking of anyone on the forum. My supposed friends like to do that sort of thing all the time. They like to say "I told you so" but don't offer any helpful advice. Yes it has a 3" clutch. May also be able to actually get 4 mounting holes on it as well without drilling into the crankcase. Drilling into the chain oil tank is not a big deal. Not going to be used anymore anyway. Thank you for the suggestion wayne z. Dumb question, but don't some pocket bike engines come with similar gearboxes? I only ask because there is someone not too far from here who deals with pocket bikes. Nothing against Dax but if i can save a little on shipping i will.
Yes, mine came off a mini chopper pocketbike. You can also find them on Ebay. Just search "pocketbike parts".

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Guys i really can't thank you enough. You just saved me a ton of work, and got the old creative juices flowing again. Was a little down because any idea i had was not going to work. In order to mount the gear reduction box all i have to do is modify the magnesium chain guard. May look a little strange. Also will have to mount the engine a little different than what i had planned but it fits better turned around anyway. The pull starter handle is now on the right side instead of the left. Big deal.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
lol NormO, they're asking and taking notes, send them here, heh heh. The Apex is a nice bike, and I see what you mean about clearances, it is a weird shock set-up.

For the curious, here's a page from CT on that bike, just above the pic there's a 360 degree view, drag the slider to circle the bike, and you can zoom too:
Apex CCM

btw Norm, nice thought on the tribute. She'll be a beaut!
It is a nice bike, but it's not going to stay white. Too hard to keep looking clean. If anyone knows of a nice color (besides black) i'll gladly listen.
Didn't pay the $599.99 price either. I'll just say i paid a lot less than that. Kijiji is a great place. Almost as good as E-Bay.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Does anyone know what kind of chainsaw that is? With that right angle drive, it would be a great candidate for an in-frame build.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I am sure they are all but gone now, but there were plenty of geared saws from years back. I have never owned one but worked on several. The gearboxes looked very HD as well as the clutches. Dont know what the reduction ratio was but the final gear was quite large. The saw in the pic is geared I am sure, probably why the smaller sprocket.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Does anyone know what kind of chainsaw that is? With that right angle drive, it would be a great candidate for an in-frame build.
The only thing i know of that had that type of color scheme is Makita. But i'm probably way off on that. Sorry after some quick research. It looks like an old David Bradley. Color even matches.

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

concrete saws are belt drive
Homelite XL98 is one model
sthil TS 400 is another

they are chainsaws fitted with a belt drive clutch and a 12 or 14 inch cutting disk

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Would be just as easy to make a belt reduction and bolt it in place of the bar, the bar studs are capble, and belt adjustment would be a snap. Could probably add and idler clutch too.