Robert Thumper

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
9-29-12 NOT SO HARDTAIL…

Seat pan prep meant 96 new holes in the parameter and unfortunately one in my thumb.

For a little cushion I added a couple of layers of neoprene snagged from some end of season discount grill gloves found at the now famous “local home improvement center”

They’re actually pre-shaped pretty nicely for a smallish seat!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
10-5-12 DATED…

I looked up the serial number on RT’s Schwinn cantilever style frame today and was amused to find it was made in March 1960, just a single month newer than I!

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
10-11-12 HIGH CARB DIET!

To keep things running clean I built a heavy wire screen basket to hold a chunk of official Lawnboy filter foam to the front of the little 22mm Mikuni.

A unidentified vintage short stack (Davenport show find) was modified to fit the carburetor. A brass fitting was added to direct oil seepage from the valve cover vent, this should keep the filter nice & wet.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
10-13-12 I CAN STAND IT!

A custom super sized Schwinn style stand was made from my first unsuccessful attempt at Excalibur’s front fork struts, one of the bends was already in place, Ha!

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
10-15-12 ENLIGHTENED THUMPAGE…

A modern Schwinn light kit was mated with a vintage Schwinn headlight. A new socket added to fit the very bright Xenon bulb and a 4AA battery case velcroed soundly in place. The rear light will be used as is.

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
10-22-12 FINISHED THUMPER!!!

After a few days of assembly and last minute details I have finally finished RT!

YEA!

I had asked for advise on carburetor tuning on my favorite internet forum and got some very good suggestions. Fortunily it runs great with out of the box factory settings!
In fact this thing is crazy quick and crazy fast, scary fast!*
But, It’s nearly Halloween and I don’t mind being a little scared!
However within just a couple of miles on the shakedown cruise the CVT’s rear clutch fell apart, I believe it was a faulty factory instilled snap ring. When it let go it scattered parts across a leaf cover street.

I did manage to find all of them except for the green spring. A new spring & snap ring have been ordered. I will back it up this time with a large washer on the shaft to keep parts in place in case this is a common problem and happens again…?

It’s also too loud so I will be building a new longer baffle.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
I took Robert T to Vintage TorqueFest last Saturday, held this year in my own town (sorry, no pics.)

With a one way trip of about 8 miles it was the first time I ever really rode her wide open- Fun bike and a fun day despite a little rain!

However on the trip home the bolt that holds the rear brake arm backed out and by the time I got stopped 5 spokes were violently ripped from the hub and ground into main sprocket- Could of been bad...

I had generously coated that bolt with red loctite when first assembled, but apparently the heat of the exhaust had softened it up.

A little redesign is in order with either safety wire or more likely a castle nut and pin!

This was actually a valuable lesson, from now on anything, and I mean anything that could possibly interfere with any moving/spinning parts will mechanically safety fastened!!!

-Kirk

Attachments