Planning first DIY build, second build total

GoldenMotor.com

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA
As of now, I'm working on plans for a build, but everything as of yet is only ideas, nothing even written down. Plans consist of:

home made cruiser style frame
HF Predator 212 cc, 6.5 HP engine
Suspension front fork
leaning to soft tail
disk brakes
multispeed gear system
in frame gas tank
head and tail lights, maybe signals too?
keyed kill switch

I'll have help from one of my best friends who does autobody repair as well as from my father who has an acetylene torch for making the frame. I'm leaning strongly to the Predator because it's a simple solution, it's been used here on the forums, and I think I want to go with a 4-stroke since my last one was a china girl... unless someone points me to a better solution. The front fork might end up being from a light motorcycle. If rear suspension proves too difficult, then I'll just go with hard tail. As far as it being 'multispeed', I'm uncertain whether I should go with some home made gear system, a bicycle cassette (would that be strong enough for the engine?), or if I should go with a CVT. I'd really like it to be some sort of manual transmission and not the CVT. I'm thinking this might be a pedal-less bike, or at least pedal-optional, such as if I run out of fuel, but that would be it. I'll likely leave the engine as a pull start, but if I get ambitious, i might try and get some sort of electric start, but that's unlikely. Anyone know if this engine has excess energy that could be used for lighting/charging a battery? If not, I might just rig up a small alternator for the task. Shouldn't be too difficult... right?

Sorry for the somewhat unorganized blob of text, and I'm sure I've left some of my ideas out... but any suggestions or advice are more than welcome. :)

Last edited:

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA
So far, I'm about ... half done with a preliminary design in Google SketchUp (awesome tool), and I've made some more decisions, hardtail with a larger diameter tire that I'll likely leave a little bit on the softer side and have a padded or a suspension seat (thus far it's most likely to be padded). Springer fork is likely, can anyone suggest a good one? I've looked at Pirate Cycles' and some other business' forks and I'm curious if they'd hold up to bumps at 50+ mph.