8 HP Briggs Pusher build!

GoldenMotor.com

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Well, the little Chinese 50 CC mini chopper engine died. RIP (may it rust in pieces). However, I've got a sweet little 8 Horse Briggs & Straton and I will find a way to shoehorn it into that thing! It'll take some creativity, a jackshaft, and I gotta find a clutch, but this baby's gonna fly!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks. Yes, it goes pretty fast. I used a modified 3rd Millenium Energy late model Whizzer clutch. They don't offer it any more, but I disected one and saw it was just a reworked Max Torque. I just cut the pulley rim down and welded a sprocket in it's place.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Sweet, It should be interesting to see what its like to have this monster on a push trailer. It handled great with the 50cc but now it will be heavier and way more powerful.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"Well, the little Chinese 50 CC mini chopper engine died"

And your just telling me now! Kidding, sorry to hear it. What caused it's early demise?

8HP, man, gonna be able to climb a tree with that.
(Well, if the tree is at a 45* angle and paved, lol)

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
It developed a crank case leak and a toasted clutch. Also I may have broken a ring haulin @$$ down the mountain in the rain.
What is this "paved" stuff you speak of? Is it that stuff they use to cover roads in places that have those traffic light things? dnut .trlrl.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Wow. I just measured the output shaft on the briggs and its a 1 inch shaft. Whats this thing out of? Log splitter? Who makes a clutch for a shaft that size?

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Well life keeps getting in the way of fun stuff. I was going to start cuttin up the little pusher to make the transformation to monster pusher but had to remove, cut up, and rebuild the ramp on my wife's horse trailer. Ratz!

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Here is a brain fart that I may do at least for a few weeks or so. Until i get around to getting a clutch i am thinking of trying a belt between the eng and jack shaft with a tensioner pulley. A spring would keep the belt tight until i push down a lever near the cranks with my foot. Some of you may think it a bit odd but a foot clutch has worked on my harley for 66 years.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That would be very Cool and DIY looking SJN.

For a FD design I have been working on, was thinking of some thing similar. But instead of foot or lever activated, a back-rest that that operates engagement by the rider sliding back.

'cause I'm not that coordinated.

Dunno, just a what I was thinking to free up foot and hand action.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
i like the nos bottle

If I had a dollar for every person that has asked me in a serious tone "does that thing really have nos?" lol. i just laugh and remind them that its just a 50 cc two stroke that was made in china. nitro would scatter it from here to its homeland! Best gas tanks ever!
hmmm. correction. It was 50 cc. I think the briggs 8 hp is 315 cc but i could be wrong. Well it is a little bigger.
Started cutting stuff up and mocking things up today. Will have my daughter post the pics cuz im computer stupid.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Well after a lot of mental engineering, butt scratching, and beer i settled on a frame design that I can build without a pipe bender. It also had to be much stronger than the last one and use stuff that I have layin around.
started welding it together last night and I think it will work pretty nice. the second build is fun when you have the mistakes from the first behind you. lets see what i can screw up this time! lol

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Just ran the numbers on my gearing. The first setup i ran came out to 78 mph! I think I will go with a different pulley that I have that comes out to 52 mph. I think that will be plenty and still be able to get off the line. Lol
Oh, Dan. Just thought i would give you a cost to date on the latest version. Are you ready for this? $0.00 that includes the 8 hp briggs!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL SJN, awesome.

(are you sure you couldn't get the price down a little more? Really, some times I think ya just don't try) snicker, snork