Sportsman 200

GoldenMotor.com

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Have any of you ever thought of a rubber drill piece with a small cone on the flywheel. Just like you start an RC airplane. I was thinking this would work great on my HS 49cc. and help me get rid of that awful pull start and weedwacker shroud.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Couple updates. This build will have more horse power than any of my previous builds so I am upgrading a few components. I picked up a set of Felt Abraham Linkage forks because I like the Monark fork look, but wanted something stronger. The Felt forks are 1 1/8" threadless and will not mount to vintage style frames designed for 1" threaded steer tubes. I figured it would be a simple mod to replace the threadless steer tube with a threaded one. Not as simple as I thought! It took a fair amount of machining and custom parts to make it happen.

Here is where all the mods take place, on the main fork section. I show it in this picture with the custom machined steer tube already pressed into place and welded. I had to machine out the old steer tube before I could press in the new custom 1" threaded steer tube. The fork is then remachined for the press fit of the crown race.

Monark Style Forks by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here are all the fork parts ready for the first test fit to a spare head tube.

This is a close-up of the new spring mount I made. The Felt spring mount would not work with the threaded steer tube.

Here are the forks all assembled. They look like Monarks, but are quite a bit different. Modern vintage! Much stronger.

These are the hubs I plan to use. Drums front and rear for that vintage look. These will be laced into some aluminum Worksman rims I just had anodized black.

Sportsman 200 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Good work Pat. I had that same Abraham Linkage fork. The springs will be ok for a while but will significantly sag over time due to the weight of the bike over a traditional bicycle. You can probably source out stiffer springs in the meantime so you have them when you need them.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Sportsman Flyer lands in New Zealand !!!

Hey there's a frame on my sofa!
(I better put it away before my wife gets home)
Just organizing some chrome wheels at the moment, the other stuff is ordered & on it's way.

Attachments

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Finally found some time to work on my build today. I cleaned most of the brazing flux from the frame, welded out the engine mount, finished the gas tank and oil tank, and test fit the modified engine. I sure like how the flywheel fills the frame loop!

I was having a good day with the tig welder. The mount is 3/16" plate and ties directly to the bottom bracket then spreads the engine load over a wide area. The centrifugal clutch can also be seen in this view. I hope the clutch works as good as it looks.

Seat and seat brackets finished up. This seat actually goes on my brothers bike, but hey, if he leaves it laying around the shop it's fair game. Thanks for the seat, bro!

Last edited:
Reactions: chainmaker

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Hey yeah the way that motor fits into that frame loop looks perfect. As as I said before, that mount looks great too.
That motor really looks the business Pat.

ADD/EDIT: Your flickr photostream just keeps getting better & better!

Last edited:

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
that looks really awesome Pat. I love how clean the cuts are that laser cutter makes. I sure wish I could weld as good as you.

hmm would you consider making the flat engine mount plate available to the public?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
UNREAL! DANG PAT! If.. IF you do a production run of these Id sell about 1/4 of my gun colection to get one ( you have no idea how much that pains me but I'd do it :( ) Be nice to have the option to tip the head of the motor back twoard the seat for a slightly more "elderly" look.

Attachments

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks for the comments guys. I agonized endlessly over the engine angle. I leaned the engine forward, back, straight up and down, and finally settled on near vertical. I mounted the engine base angle parallel to the seat post tube and left just enough clearence for a 28t pedal sprocket. Here are the pieces of the engine mount laid out flat and then just set together. Using tabs and slots makes assembly and alignment so much easier.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I just bought one from Pat. It's what I put on my 1911's new wheels. I paid around $180 or so I believe for the Brake drum hub, the adapter plate for the sprocket and the split sprocket. It is a really nice unit. What I like about it is since the brake is internal with the hub the sprocket is a lot farther outboard than other model hubs. It is wide though. I think it requires a frame that is 135mm wide to use this.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
At the risk of stepping out of place and for information only, here is what Pat sent me.

Drum brake $80
Adaptor plate $35
48 tooth sprocket $47
52-58 tooth sprocket $54
18 tooth bicycle side freewheel $28
A weld on cable stop is included.

He said that the prices haven't been firmly set as yet and said he was sorry they were so expensive.

My reply was that when the back of the car in front of you stops quickly and the trunk is approching at an alarming rate of speed, the cost of the brakes may not be a concern when you stop in time. Not a good time to test your $20 brakes.
Just not a place to save money in my opinion.

Steve

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here are a few fresh pictures from tonight. Kind of blury, but you get the idea. I have the wheels all laced up. These are Worksman aluminum rims anodized black, stainless spokes, drum hubs, custom rear sprocket assembly. I finished up the modifications to the forks so they are no longer threadless, and now have a 1" threaded steer tube. Boardie bars and a vintage Ashtabula carbon black finish BMX stem. I really like the look of this engine and hope to have the machined drive system parts tomorrow.

Last edited: