Sportsman 200

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Fantastic work Sportscar! Im wondering though how well the motor is lubricated at the upright angle? Special oil pump pickup?

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
The new connecting rod end cap has a wider "spoon" that not only splashes more oil but it force feeds the big rod end bearing, something the stock rod cannot do. As long as you slightly tilt the cylinder rearward a couple of degrees it oils just as well as in the stock configuration.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Those engine mounts are cool. Nice job.

Sportsman 200 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here is a detail shot of the finished engine mount assembly and the mock up I used to test fit to the frame. Mount is CAD designed and laser cut to insure accuracy, then placed into the frame and squared up off the frame jig to assure proper chain alignment. The three pieces of the mount are tabed and slotted together so they self align and interlock before welding. Very easy to assemble and maintain alignment through the tig welding process. I like how the main backbone of the mount looks kind of like a big bowie hunting knife. I will try to keep this thread updated as the build continues.

Sportsman 200 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I just took a look at the AGK site and yes. Those are mighty big spoons! Great work Pat! Question: Is the 160cc motor the same demensions or such a small diffrence its not worth talking bout?

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
The new connecting rod end cap has a wider "spoon" that not only splashes more oil but it force feeds the big rod end bearing, something the stock rod cannot do. As long as you slightly tilt the cylinder rearward a couple of degrees it oils just as well as in the stock configuration.
So; It would be OK to mount the motor in a configuration like this old Indian if someone wanted the layback look??

Attachments

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Absolutely. You just don't want to tip it forward. The reason is the spoon tip that splashes and scoops oil needs to be the first part that hits the oil supply or it won't be as effective. It you lean the engine forward the tip will be the last part that hits the oil supply. This would cause a decrease of oil to the big end bearing and possibly not enough oil making it's way to the top end. I know I'm getting great oil circulation because I always have a few drips under my engine after a ride from the breather hose from the valve cover. If it were not dripptng oil out of the hose the oil wouldn't be working it's way up to the rockers. I just hit 1500 miles anyway and my 6.5 still runs great. Poor oil circulation would have killed it long ago. No metal particles in my drained oil at all. Sorry to hijack Pat.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
That's not a thread hijack, but it is valuable information. I had never looked at running the clone engine as it just didn't have the look that would've worked for my builds. I had no idea it could be run vertical. Now that people have done it and there haven't been any oil related failures that I am aware of, it seems to be a non issue. I do have an oiling system in the works for the valve train, but it is a low priority until I finalize my drive system.

Last edited:

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
wow Pat, she is gonna be a beaut! with the added performance parts, a screamer too. I am sprucing up my engine as well. cam, valves, con rod, piston, pushrods, flywheel, rockers, springs. bet i easily hit 10 horses. I will just ease on the throttle though, so I dont break spokes.xct2

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
wow Pat, she is gonna be a beaut! with the added performance parts, a screamer too. I am sprucing up my engine as well. cam, valves, con rod, piston, pushrods, flywheel, rockers, springs. bet i easily hit 10 horses. I will just ease on the throttle though, so I dont break spokes.xct2
Very impressive what you guys are doing with these engines. I know the initial cost of the Harbor Freight engine is quite low, but what kind of money do you have in one "souped up"? I know there are different stages of upgrading, but can anyone give an idea?
SB

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Same here, about $350. You can easily overspend on this motor. Just ask yourself what you want to do with it, compete in races or have a reliable street bike. If I could do it over I wouldn't change a thing. This engine is super dependable. I through with 2 strokes forever.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Sounds like were all having fun with these engines. For me the four strokes are familiar territory from hotrodding cars. Cam, pushrods, rocker arms. That I understand. Now if someone can just come up with a kick starter.

Reactions: chainmaker

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Now if someone can just come up with a kick starter.
Pardon my fumbling with the words, (I'm better at drawing pictures). Perhaps some kind of transitional "partial" gear that could be turned so the "teeth" contact the flywheel at the front and the pedal at the rear. With the bike on a center stand, just mesh the gear into the (customized?) flywheel then set the pedal against the other side of the gear, then kick start your engine! That is of course, if the flywheel is designed to rotate forward. ;) I dunno, it works in my head.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I worked on this problem for a while. I didn't have enough room to put the mechanism on the engine. Too much clutter. I spotted a briggs and stratton hand crank which is kind of cool. It fits in the key groove of the shaft on the flywheel side and is half moon shaped. You turn it as fast as you can and as soon as it starts it disconnects from the engine and is in your hand. Old Henderson motorcycles had hand cranks, but they stayed on the engine.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Maybe with a few of us putting our heads together we can figure out a kick starter. Another option is an electric starter.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
This is pretty clever, however it does eliminate the functionality of the pedals. Not only that but, it also would not work with a cvt or higher hp engines like my v-twin. I need to figure something out for my bike too because there is absolutely no room for a battery. What about some sort of chain drive that bolted to the flywheel in place of the factory cup. Or maybe some sort of crank like antique cars had?

Board Track Replica - Dixie Flyer Startup - YouTube

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hey John,
I like the wind up mechanism. Can you take it off of there and flip it over so I see what makes it tick? I can picture a CNC machined billet aluminum hand crank and a rifle trigger to fire it off!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Sorry Pat, I got the picture off the Internet. It's been one of those ideas that I have been playing around with for a while. It makes sense to me. Crank a few times and fire it up. Not too much room, no battery needed, and way cooler than a pull cord. To get one you will need to scour the Web and EBay. If you can reverse engineer it for clone engines I'll be your first customer.