Converting to Single Speed?

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I don't have a lot of summer left, but while I wait for my #415, and my Manic Hub mount, I want to make sure I have a backup plan for making my bike finally work.

My problem has been the chain jumping. Even when putting a washer behind the drive sprock and dishing the rear sprock inward, the chain still jumped all over the place.

My plan is that if it still doesn't work, I will remove the cassette from the rear wheel and leave only one gear.

This way, the rear wheel will be much more to the right (with the extra gears gone). Then the engine and rear sprocket will finally line up, and it won't jump!

Edit: I did some research, and I would need to remove the freehub. One of the members here wrote this article!: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

I would need a special tool.

Once I remove the freehub, however, does anyone know if it can be cut (to allow one gear) and replaced?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Bike shop can do it for sure. I bought a good quality Parks tool off ebay for $7 shipped, takes em right of especially with an air impact. Might consider getting one if MBs are in your future.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Re-read your post you mention both cassette and freewheel, what you want to do will not work with a cassette. If its a freewheel then once renoved the wheel will be much narrower and you can install a single sprocket freewheel.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I realized I have a freehub with cassette, I don't think there is any way to convert this to a single speed while reducing space.

It looks like the one on the far right, the hyperglide:

so the only way I could do it is with spacers, leaving me with the same amount of space I had before, and the whole point was to reduce space used.

So there is no way to do this, correct?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
No. Your best option is to find another wheel either new or used that is a single speed, or a freewheel type you and put a single speed on. They are on ebay fairly cheap.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
They make single speed conversion kits for that type of wheel. I use one on my motor bike. They normally consist of a chain tensioner, cog, and spacers that replace that gear cluster. Find them on EBay for 20 to 30 bucks or spend more at a bike shop. They work well.
It is possible that your problem is broken or worn chain. You might try replacing the chain before buying an SS kit.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I'd rather just keep the freewheeling ability and just replace the other gears with spacers. This is actually what I plan on doing. I'm also going to look into getting a simple tensioner, because that chain keeps skipping and jumping which is eventually going to ruin the sprocket.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I'd rather just keep the freewheeling ability and just replace the other gears with spacers. This is actually what I plan on doing. I'm also going to look into getting a simple tensioner, because that chain keeps skipping and jumping which is eventually going to ruin the sprocket.
Sent ya a pm