grubee skyhawk reaches maximum rpm and revs out of control

GoldenMotor.com

merchant810

Jun 13, 2011
United States
so this is my first post and my first purchase. I have built a occ chopper bike and everything is in position. I purchased the grubee skyhawk and am so lost on how to fix my problem. First of all my bike only runs if choke is all the way down on the gear shifter style. if i move up at all it instantly dies. The main problem is that the bike revs up higher than it is moving. What i mean is ill be doing like fifteen mph and the motor gets so reved up it revs super high and vibrates so hard like it spinning freely. it seems to only have pulling power until a certain rpm. Ive taken the clutch apart and feel confident its not the clutch. However my clutch arm is in a different stock position than everyone elses. Also when i pull the throttle it is not as near responsive as my friends bikes. Not sure how to ask for help but i can add pics or videos or whatever please somebody personally help me as i dont think this is just a break in period problem. Thank You All.:-||:-||

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Correct!

IMO this is NOT a 'break in problem', as you say.

For starters, it sound to me like the clutch is not adjusted properly.
If you do not have a manual that covers the procedure in detail, review threads here on the subject for proper advice.
There is SO much good info here!
Best
rc

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Goat's 4 Step Clutch Adjustment

1. Adjust the clutch lever's camshaft to be tight against the bucking bar (pin/rod at center of motor's drive sprocket).

2. Lock your clutch.

3. Open the largest cover on the motor (right side) and look at the left gear. There's a flower nut and a locking screw. Pull out the locking screw and turn the flower nut CW to tighten it, and CCW to loosen it. You want it tight enough to where it won't slip when you accelerate, but loose enough to where the clutch will disengage so you can idle.

4. To test it, find a hill and accelerate up it. If your clutch keep slipping, tighten it (CW) one notch and try again. Lather rinse and repeat. Next test is to lock the clutch and lift the back wheel off the ground. If the wheel turns at all, you need to loosen it (CCW) one notch and try again. Lather rinse and repeat.

merchant810

Jun 13, 2011
United States
thanks for the info, however how do you adjust the lever camshaft to be tight against the bucking bar. I love small engines and appreciate any advice as i want to beat all my buddies with their engines lol. Does it matter that my clutch arm is not in the normal position of being parallel with the motor, its hard to explain i will include pics tomorrow as i look forward to getting this going before biker nights in next weekend.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
The clutch arm will ROUGHLY be in the 5 o'clock position when looking down at it from sitting in the seat, china girl variables, so it's not exact.

The thing is to be sure that you're not being fooled by the return spring (the smaller spring against the clutch arm) and the cable. It even helps to take the cable off completely and push it snug with your fingers to see where you're aiming for.

What upsets me about the camshaft on these is that when it's flat to the bucking bar, it's already angled. Yeah, that helps with making it easy to pull, but you also lose a lot of the movement. That's why it's so crucial to make sure it's tight. Another thing that will help in setting this is on your quick cable adjustment on the clutch handle/lever, screw it in all the way, then unscrew it half a turn to a full turn. Then if you just aren't close enough in getting the camshaft to hit the bar solidly, you can unscrew that quick adjust to put more tension on it.

A good working clutch is all the world on these bikes.