GPS Tracking Units? Theft Deterrence.

GoldenMotor.com

MikeGates

May 23, 2011
United States
Hello All,

As I gear up to start fabricating my motorbike homage to the first 10 years of Harley-Davidson motorcycles, I have been thinking more about securing my investment a bit more. Building a custom motorbike as you all know, is no small chore, and is definably not cheap if you want to make the bike run well/look nice. All said and done with all the upgrades and paint job etc, I can see this bike project being worth at least $600 in parts alone.

Has anyone here used a GPS tracker or other theft deterrent on their bikes? If so what do you use? I'm looking for something beyond the old bike lock. I would like to be able to ride my bike up to the hardware store or cigar shop to be able to pick a few small things up without the worry that I would never see it again. I live in a college town so bike thefts are all too common.

I like the idea of the GPS trackers since even if someone cuts the chain and steals the bike, I can log online, see where it is, and take a ride over with the Police to get it back and catch a perp in the same day. The big turn off about the GPS trackers is the activation fees and service charges that come along with it. Even so, I would have to say I would rather pay a 50 dollar yearly service fee to the have the peace of mind that I can find my bike if it goes "missing."
zpt

devindylanethan

Jun 3, 2011
Georgia
Hello, I recently bought an item on ebay called the Insignion "Little Buddy". It is actually a child tracking device that is very small, and cost about $30. I straight wired the cigarette lighter plug in to my motorcycle battery to keep it charged. You can charge it and throw it in to anything to track anything or anyone. You can either pay $14 a month for unlimited tracking, or go my option, and pay .99 per track. I hid the device on my bike, and if it ever gets stolen, all I have to do is pay the dollar, and it will show me within a few feet exactly where my bike is. You can track the unit in real time, at any time to find out where it is. It is sold by Best Buy, and has good reviews. Not a bad idea for a one time fee of $30 to always know where your bike is. Hope this helps you out. Most tracking devices are upwards of $200.