Nobody Doesn't Like a Good Dog Story

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I wrote the following some ten years ago or thereabouts for the yahoo group for lightning survivors. It is addressed to a woman who was hit along with her dog and I knew she was deeply depressed and like me had experienced a traumatic brain injury, so I was attempting to reach out to her.

Hi Sarah,
I just wondered how you are doing and wanted to say hello to you and Frank. Are you on the road again? If so, I hope you are somewhere beautiful and warm, with sunshine and open water... a place where robins bring in the new day with birdsong.
Back when you told us all about your lightning strike and you mentioned your dog I wanted to tell you about Bernie. Before I tell you about what happened to him, I want to back up a little and tell you the whole story.
I once had a German short hair dog named Beckie who used to travel a mile or so away from the homestead I lived at to have an illicit affair with an unnamed border collie. As expected a litter of puppies arrived in due time. All of them had short hair and resembled their mother except for one who was huge and had hair that wouldn't quit. Once their eyes were open and they were taking on more character and definition we realized that he looked a lot like a St. Bernard, a very good looking one. How this happened from his parentage we don't know, but we called him 'Bernie'. Two of my kids were quite young and my daughter wheedled and cajoled constantly. "Can't we keep just one? I'll take care of him." Of course she got what she wanted, which was the cute one with all the hair. Bernie grew and grew and grew. He was huge and was too big for the confines of our home, so he became an outdoor dog. This was a disappointment for Bernie because he was very affectionate and wanted to be a lapdog. You would have to be Jesse Ventura to have Bernie for a lapdog. Of course my daughter's vow of care taking faded as it does with most children, so I had to take over. As Bernie's body, hair and good nature grew, his mind did not. This dog was dumb as a stump, but everybody loved him for his good nature.
The kids grew up and Bernie grew old. While we still had the resort Bernie was our bear dog, guarding the trash cans and treeing bears when they attempted a raid. He was a great favorite of our guests and he knew which cabins gave out the best goodies. One lady made a whole lasagna dinner just for him, and I know he had whole steaks grilled in his honor. Fillet Mignon, shrimp, ribs... In the summers, Bernie ate better than I did. He would always greet boats as they came in to dock, wagging his bushy tail and happily drooling. He knocked more than one of our guests in the lake without ever actually hurting anybody, thankfully. He used to also take off after cast lures if a guest made the mistake of fishing off the dock.
Our move to the farm after we sold the resort was hard on Bernie. He was terrified riding the fifty miles in my truck from the lake to the new place. Every semi that passed was a death threat and there was hair and dog slobber all over his side of the windshield by the time our trip was over. He was completely disoriented and missed being able to go in the lake on hot days. I would leave the outside cellar door open for him so that he could cool off on the cement floor. He had a regular spot for himself near the hot water heater.
As often happens with humans, especially ones busy trying to move in and fix up and take care of goats, pet birds and other dogs, the old dog was neglected. He was fed, of course, and occasionally brushed, but there were no boats to greet, no soft touch guests to beg from, none of the old familiar territory. Looking back, I think Bernie was depressed. He seemed to be moving more slowly and by late summer was getting a little disoriented... walking down the drive he seemed to forget which way was home. We had a period of severe thunderstorms with lots of thunder and lightning and Bernie would take refuge in his cellar hide away. More than once the lightning knocked out our power and I had would have to replace fuses in the old fuse box. Twice I had to replace the heating element in the electric hot water heater. Summer turned to Autumn and Bernie seemed to decline further. I noticed that he didn't go into the basement anymore and either slept under a cabin we moved to the farm or he would camp out in the field. Bernie had been an outdoor dog and it wasn't yet cold weather, so we didn't really worry about it. Then one day he didn't come to eat. We called and went looking for him, but he was gone. We checked with neighbors and days went by, but Bernie didn't come. I started feeling guilty and thinking that maybe he had gotten so disoriented that he just wandered off down the highway and didn't know how to get home. Maybe brush wolves got him. A week went by and the little Corgis found his body out in the field. He never had been very far from home. It appears that he just went to sleep and didn't wake up.
It wasn't until later that I put two and two together and realized what happened. During one of those lightning storms when the hot water heating element got cooked by lightning, Bernie, lying right next to it on a damp cellar floor got hit, too. That's why he didn't go into the cellar anymore, even on hot days. That's why he was disoriented and that's why he was so stiff in his joints and seemed to age so quickly. I feel bad that I wasn't there for him with some understanding of what happened. He's buried out in the field where he went to sleep.
So it is a little late and I don't know if it is okay with everybody, but I am adding Bernies' name to our list. I think you will understand, Sarah. He was a survivor for a time and he was a victim like the rest of us. He was a good boy, Bernie was.
Silverbear

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
That was a good story Silverbear. I'm glad you shared it with us. I for one would like to see a picture of Bernie if you have one.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
My rescues

My rescues , the first pic , is of ralf , he is an walker , but many say he is an coon dog , I think he like raccoons , the second pic is rusty he is an [thinking]. .. … …. hmmm I think a cross between an chow and an golden lab . These dogs were doomed and now they have love ! They are too sweet for their own good ! I wish they would take up for themselves better especially ralf , the third picture of ralf after I have worked with him , I think with more work he will be an coon dog

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Re: My rescues

My rescues , the first pic , is of ralf , he is an walker , but many say he is an coon dog , I think he like raccoons , the second pic is rusty he is an [thinking]. .. … …. hmmm I think a cross between an chow and an golden lab . These dogs were doomed and now they have love ! They are too sweet for their own good ! I wish they would take up for themselves better especially ralf , the third picture of ralf after I have worked with him , I think with more work he will be an coon dog
Hey Ralf, hey Rusty... good dogs! Give those dogs a bone!
Yeah, I'd have to agree that dogs outshine a whole lot of people. Mixed breeds are more healthy and dogs who need a good home appreciate it when they finally get one. I once worked for a newspaper and was supposed to take some photos from the local veterinary hospital. I published the photos and in the cut line underneath said they were Death Row Doggies who did nothing wrong, but need a home or else. I got a lot of flak over that one, but felt like it is glossing things over to just say "these little guys sure could use a home". Truth is if they didn't get one soon they were going to be put to sleep. Which is another nice way of glossing things over since they were to be executed. They did nothing wrong but be unwanted and for that deserved to die. Call a spade a spade. My little Aaniimoosh was thrown from a moving car as a puppy. Who would do something like that? I got her from a shelter in South Dakota and she's my best friend. These shelters are always hard pressed for funds to stay operating. Hard times for people means even harder times for their pets. Many get left behind after the foreclosure. Homeless is not good for man or dog. Here's to you, Donald Trump and Bill Gates and all the others out there with multiple homes and more money than any one person should have when others are hungry and have no home. My rant. My bad.
SB

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My wife and I took a donation to the local animal shelter last summer. It was just kibble and blankets so no big deal. I have never even mentioned it and it isn't the story. The story is like SB's. A man was bringing in a beautiful while puppy. He had to give the dog up and it broke me and my wife's heart. So yes give a dog a home.... Give a shelter dog a home and save a life. God will have a special place waiting for you.

By the way, for the guy who tossed your dog from the car, there is a place for him as well, but his reservation isn't in the same resort.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
someone has to stand up bear / the animals cant do it

Hey Ralf, hey Rusty... good dogs! Give those dogs a bone!
Yeah, I'd have to agree that dogs outshine a whole lot of people. Mixed breeds are more healthy and dogs who need a good home appreciate it when they finally get one. I once worked for a newspaper and was supposed to take some photos from the local veterinary hospital. I published the photos and in the cut line underneath said they were Death Row Doggies who did nothing wrong, but need a home or else. I got a lot of flak over that one, but felt like it is glossing things over to just say "these little guys sure could use a home". Truth is if they didn't get one soon they were going to be put to sleep. Which is another nice way of glossing things over since they were to be executed. They did nothing wrong but be unwanted and for that deserved to die. Call a spade a spade. My little Aaniimoosh was thrown from a moving car as a puppy. Who would do something like that? I got her from a shelter in South Dakota and she's my best friend. These shelters are always hard pressed for funds to stay operating. Hard times for people means even harder times for their pets. Many get left behind after the foreclosure. Homeless is not good for man or dog. Here's to you, Donald Trump and Bill Gates and all the others out there with multiple homes and more money than any one person should have when others are hungry and have no home. My rant. My bad.
SB
someone has to stand up bear / the animals cant do it by themselves . i beleive if people get pets and then dont take of them because of just plain Neglect , ought to be fined $800.00 and serve thirty days working at an dog pound under the eyes of yours truly ! That ought to stop this crap ! And if they hurt an animal they should pay an thousand dollar fine and serve a year of community time working at an dog pound under the eyes of yours truly!
we can team up and while i sleep you can take over , and while you sleep i will take over

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
My wife and I took a donation to the local animal shelter last summer. It was just kibble and blankets so no big deal. I have never even mentioned it and it isn't the story. The story is like SB's. A man was bringing in a beautiful while puppy. He had to give the dog up and it broke me and my wife's heart. So yes give a dog a home.... Give a shelter dog a home and save a life. ...
Deacon,
I was on my way to town today and remembered your post above. It inspired me to also buy a bag of dog food and drop it off at our local animal shelter. A small thing but it felt good to say the least. I only mention it here in hopes the inspiration continues to spread ... hope it goes viral! Little guys like the one in the web photo below need all the help they can get.

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Of all the dog stories I've heard this one always stuck with me.

My pals dad was caught by the Japanese in Hong Kong. While he was imprisoned he thought about his dog Bingo. Bingo kept his spirits up and made his life at least some what bearable.

It got to be a regular thing at night to huddle around with the other prisoners in his hut and describe what he and Bingo had done the night before in his dreams.
The places they had gone and the things they had done.
This was then told through the camp as the men were forced to work.

They noticed that a couple of the guards were listening outside thier building and they learned not to talk around them since they understood English. These guards then told the other guards what they had heard and that lessend the beatings they suffered. Everyone I guess was homesick and owned a dog.

When he finally got home and took a cab to his house unannounced, his parents were sitting on the porch and Bingo was lying at the top of the stairs.

He stepped through the gate and Bingo leaped off the porch, rushed into his arms, promptly bit his hand as if to say 'up you', you left me, turned around and bounded back to the porch and lay down were he was.

Things between Bingo and my buddy's Dad did improve over the following days but he had to prove himself to Bingos satisfaction.

Steve.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Here in Oregon it is not legal to put down shelter dogs anymore, Thank the Gods! I had a puppy a lil mut dog but mostly resembled a golden retriever. My parent bought a new TV (And I don't mean a nice expensive new TV, it was a $100 19 inch tv). While we were asleep, he chewed on the remote. I caught the worst of it from my stepdad who was furious, then he told me that the dog better not be here when he got home. Well the pound didn't just take your dog for free and we were poor so I was forced to lie and say he was a stray. Well as son as my parents got home from work of course I got the "why the **** did you listen to me" routine. Well it was a friday so he had to stay all weekend, then we went to pick him up Monday, we arrived early so they were not open yet. My mother walked around back to see if there was anyone there. She instead saw the Morgue Truck and on top of the bodies was a Yellow lab, she did not tell me what she saw, and we left. We returned a few hours later and they were open, my mom went in and thankfully it was not him she saw, she paid for the release, then told me what she saw back there earlier that morning.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It is heartening to me to see how you guys care about dogs. I don't like to see any animals abused and even if an animal is destined to be food it deserves our respect. I have been a hunter and taken lives. It is not something I'm either proud of or ashamed of either. When I have taken an animal for food I try to do it well, killing quickly and using the animal well and with gratitude. I believe the local Ojibwa practice of placing tobacco in the nostrils of the deer and of leaving an offering of tobacco is a good one, acknowledging the spirit of the deer and its journey home to the Creator. When I cut a tree I mentally recognize its right to live and be and breath the air as I do and I give thanks to the tree for giving its life. When I eat a meal I give thanks to the lives given for me by the plant and animal life represented on my plate. They lived and they died. It is the way of the world that one thing feeds another. It is the universal law of reciprocal maintenance. What matters most is the respect given and doing things out of need. I like the native view of all of creation being our relatives. Even the lowly insects are referred to by the Ojibwa as maaniidoon meaning "little spirits". We share this world. It breaks my heart seeing what is happening in the gulf of Mexico.
SB

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
On a happier note,. I was making photographs of houses on a private mountain many years ago. I turned the corner and saw a puppy in the middle of the road. I avoided the little girl but it wasn't all that easy. I stopped and put her in the floor of the front seat. When I got to the sales office of the mountain development, I asked the secretary if I could have some water for the puppy I just found.

She asked. " What are you going to do with her."

I said I honestly don't know. I was hoping someone along the road would know where she belonged."

"She is awfully young. I think someone just put her out on the road," she replied.

"Could be, but she is people friendly so I don't think she has been a stray long."

"She is a beautiful color," the woman said.

"Would you like to have her?" I asked.

"I was hoping you would ask. If you kept her what would you name her?" she went on.

"Well last year I was in Asia. The thai word for "Little," is NOI. The is a song that goes something like, Ma Noi Ma Noi tomidon." It means little dog little dog please come home."

"What a wonderful name. Then I shall call her Princess Noi, for you."

I guess you had to be there but it was a wonderful moment.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
they say confession is good for the soul so here goes... I am pretty ambivalent about religion and the mumbo jumbo attached to it. However, I do believe it doesn't all just end one day. If we only live on in the mind of a our kids and people we have touched, then so be it. DNA my be our immortality but it's there.

My dad raised bird dogs, but he was no dog trader. He raised them, he hunted them, and he loved them in his own way. I believe that those dogs went ahead to find a place for him and my mother before he passed. My dad was a tough old guy. One who would spit in the devils face. So I figure he has that cabin in the woods somewhere. He surely happily walks behind his dogs finding and flushing birds. I'm also sure he isn't allowed to shoot them where he is.

I'm sure mom is there cooking and trying to keep that cabin clean. She doesn't have crippling arthritis there. She is doing all the things she missed so much in her last years.

So giving that Max, my best dog, is up there looking for just the right place for me and my wife. Knowing him, it probably be his kind of place more than mine. Still he and I had similar bends of mind, so I can most likely live there.

Last edited: