What a Crock!

GoldenMotor.com

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
I think these photos may have been circulating on the web for a while now but if you haven't seen them yet here they are all together. They're worth a look but better sit down first if you live in Alabama! Don't know if the story's true (maybe should be taken with at least one grain of salt?) but the pic's are said to be of big alligator (not a croc) in Lake Weiss in northern Alabama. That's supposed to be a full grown deer in its mouth and the officer in the last photo is supposed to be 6'5" tall.

Attachments

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I'm in Alabama. I have seen this photo set and heard the story. Honestly, they are not that uncommon. You don't see them everywhere when you go out, but there are frequent stories in the papers. This is why I only go swimming in something with concrete walls and enough chlorine that my black bathing suit turns white! I've been bitten by some kind of fish in fresh water that I swear was a pirrana, my dad said it was a bream. I still have a scar, from whatever it was. I've had to use a lighter to remove leeches from the bottom of my feet. I was a witness to someone almost losing their life from a snake on a rafting trip. As I've gotten older, I just take bathes in the comfort of my home and occasionally hit a swimming pool.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
LoL, I was just gonna say that is not a Croc! LoL nows thas a nice gator. I entirely beleive that is a real picture. Reptiles are funny in that none of them really ever stop growing so most of our data is incorrect, simply because the leviathans are so rare. Consider that until 5 years ago the world record for a Snake was a reticulated python at 27 ft. Just recently they found a village where they had worshipped a snake for 80 years, the big boy was 50ft, and just under a thousand pounds! I myself recall seeing an old Jaques-Cousteau video of his crew flying a small helicopter over the Amazon when all of a sudden a behemoth of an Anaconda shakes a tree and looks their helicopter pilot in the eyes. Reports say that snake had to have measured 70+ ft but they never caught him!

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Terron is correct. That's a gator, not a croc. As for size, well that's questionable. With the use of photo editing software and perspective photography a person can create anything they can imagine. Browse the Internet and you can find Great Danes the size of horses, Fish/snakes/gators/bears, that have supposedly swallowed men, all detailed with discriptive text which often contains errors such as confusing an alligator with a crocodile. I recently saw one where they were trying to pass off a whale shark for a giant catfish. Oh well, they're fun and some people actually believe that stuff.
Tom

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
The only time distinction matters between a crock and a 'gator is when you're talking about them, not running from them!

Here is a copy and paste of an article in The Daily Home(local newspaper) from a few days ago. I'm just southeast of Birmingham.

An estimated 6-8 foot alligator appeared in the slough at Riverside Landing Monday morning
slideshow RIVERSIDE — It looked like a log, but when he threw a rock at it the “log” moved.

“I thought it was a log,” said Jacob Waldrop, with Tradesman Co., who was building a new pier at Riverside Landing Monday morning. “I threw a rock at it and it moved. I thought, ‘that’s interesting’ and left it alone.”

Waldrop said he went to inform officials at Town Hall about the alligator.

“It looked about seven feet long,” he said.

Waldrop was not the only person to spy the reptile.

“I was driving by and saw the gator,” said Brandon Akers.

Akers said he drove down Bukes Lane, adjacent to the slough at Riverside Landing.

“The gator was about 20 feet away from me,” he said. “It looked like it was about eight feet long.”

Akers, who has lived in the area all his life, said it was the first time he had seen an alligator in Logan Martin Lake.

“I have heard a lot of wives’ tales, and heard several people say they’ve seen one,” he said. “My father-in-law saw a three-foot gator directly across the river (from Riverside Landing) about two years ago.”

Ronnie Scribner, who was riding with Akers when they saw the alligator, said he didn’t believe it at first.

“Then we saw it about 20 feet out from the bank,” he said.

Scribner said it was his first time to see an alligator in the lake as well.

Tim Alverson said a buddy of his called and told him about the alligator.

“I thought they were lying to me and I would come and it would be a toy or something,” he said. “I thought it was a practical joke until I saw it (the alligator).”

Bill Silvers said he spotted the alligator about three weeks ago.

“I was fishing with a friend early in the morning, and we saw what looked like a log moving against the current,” he said.

Silvers said he saw the “log” frequently during the past three weeks, moving slowly around the slough and resting near the bank.

“I didn’t report it because I didn’t think anyone would believe it,” he said.

Mayor Rusty Jessup said he had no idea where the alligator came from.

“There is no way this alligator was born and raised here,” he said.

Jessup said Riverside Landing is heavily used.

“If he (the gator) had been here for any length of time, someone would have seen him by now,” Jessup said.

Jessup said the Alabama Department of Conservation Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries (formerly Game and Fish) officials came to Riverside Monday afternoon to assess the situation.

“We will set a limb line with chicken to catch it,” said Jerry Fincher, a conservation enforcement officer with the Alabama Department of Conservation Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.

Fincher said the line would be monitored overnight and this morning.

“We are hoping to be successful tonight (Monday night)” he said. “Once we catch it, we will release it in a non-disclosed area away from the public.”

Fincher said he estimated the alligator was approximately six feet long.

“There have been sightings (of alligators) for years in this area, although it is rare to see them,” Riverside Police chief Rick Oliver said. “At their request (Alabama Department of Conservation Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries officials), we are asking people to cooperate and stay away until we get the alligator relocated to a safe area for it.

It is hard to catch it when the alligator is spooked by onlookers and children throwing rocks (into the water).”

“Alligators are more common than people around here think,” said St. Clair County Commission Chairman Stan Batemon, who worked as a game warden and supervisor for District 2 (which includes St. Clair County) for the Alabama Department of Conservation Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.

Batemon said it is not uncommon to find an alligator in the Coosa River drainage area.

“I have had to catch them in private lakes in St. Clair County, and in other places along the Coosa River,” he said.

Batemon said most of the alligators he caught were 4-5 feet long, although sometimes they would find a larger alligator.

He said the alligators have a shorter growing season here, due to the cold weather in winter, and do not usually grow as large as they do further south.

“Over the last 20 years, the alligators have adapted fairly well to central and north Alabama,” he said. “I speculate they have learned to live in old beaver huts and old dug-out areas under the river bank. They crawl in there and, since they are cold-natured, their metabolism slows way down so they conserve energy without needing to feed (similar to hibernating). On a warm day, they crawl out and the sun warms them up.”

Batemon said alligators are opportunistic feeders, eating dead fish and other animals or live prey if they can catch it.

“They are not likely a danger to humans,” he said. “They are more likely a danger to a person’s pets. However, as with all wildlife, people should steer clear of it and give it a wide berth.”

Batemon said if you look at places in Florida and south Alabama where there are thousands of alligators, the residents and boaters don’t have much of a problem with the alligators, as far as the alligators being a danger to humans.

“I would like to emphasize caution, as with all wildlife (deer, bobcats, raccoons, birds, etc.),” he said. “This (alligator) is just another wildlife we have been blessed with.”

Read more: The Daily Home - Gator attracting attention in Riverside

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I would say yes that is a adult doe, how far grown who knows could be small just beyond its spots or could be a large animal. Pic 2 looks like 3 days after the first, because you can see serious skin degredation at that point. With the largest gator being 17'5" and that one looks about 15' I'd say its legit!

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The thing you have to remember is the swamp deer in the south only get about as big as a great dane, nothing compared to the whitetails we have around here.

In that last picture the scale is kind of skewed because it looks like the cop is right next to the gator but he's not and if the bucket is a large 3' wide one the gator is only about 15' snout to tail.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
they need to take him to fla to help with the

they need to take him to fla to help with the snake problrm
I think these photos may have been circulating on the web for a while now but if you haven't seen them yet here they are all together. They're worth a look but better sit down first if you live in Alabama! Don't know if the story's true (maybe should be taken with at least one grain of salt?) but the pic's are said to be of big alligator (not a croc) in Lake Weiss in northern Alabama. That's supposed to be a full grown deer in its mouth and the officer in the last photo is supposed to be 6'5" tall.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
LoL, I was just gonna say that is not a Croc! LoL nows thas a nice gator. I entirely beleive that is a real picture. Reptiles are funny in that none of them really ever stop growing so most of our data is incorrect, simply because the leviathans are so rare. Consider that until 5 years ago the world record for a Snake was a reticulated python at 27 ft. Just recently they found a village where they had worshipped a snake for 80 years, the big boy was 50ft, and just under a thousand pounds! I myself recall seeing an old Jaques-Cousteau video of his crew flying a small helicopter over the Amazon when all of a sudden a behemoth of an Anaconda shakes a tree and looks their helicopter pilot in the eyes. Reports say that snake had to have measured 70+ ft but they never caught him!
Eeeeeuuuuu, I hate snakes. I would be soooo out of there. .wee.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
one snake tried to swallow an gator in fla

Eeeeeuuuuu, I hate snakes. I would be soooo out of there. .wee.
one snake tried to swallow an gator in fla / gator woke up and came out the side of the snake. unreal. looks like the gators might have to be dinos again. i hope they find an home for the old guy though. and i feel for the snakes its not there fault they are in fla . mabey an $8000.00 dollr fine might make people quit leting them go in the ever glades. we have some of the wild hogs here in mississippi . dont know how they got hre

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
WHAT IS IT THAT MAKES SOMEONE KILL SUCH A BEAUTIFUL ANIMAL IS IT A PURE EGO BOOST OR WAS IT REALLY DANGEROUS--here in Canada ive seen many bears both black and grizzlies but never wanted to shoot them--that said if it was eating food on my porch (if it was in my tree i would not ) and i couldnt get out or it was gnawing off my leg well then i would.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When I lived in New Hampshire up in the White mountains, a friend of mine stopped by my house to tell me that a racoon was raiding his garbage in the garage every time he left the door open.

Few days later he stopped by and said the racoon was back and this time he was ready. He grabbed his flashlight and a balloon full of ammonia and the battle was on. He snuck around to the garage door, got the balloon in firing position, stepped into the garage, flipped on the flash light and there, sitting on it's haunches with the garbage pail between it's legs like a bucket of chicken was the biggest black bear he had ever seen.

Said he was in the house and the door locked before the flashlight hit the ground.
He was shaking when he told me about it the next day.

Steve.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
I dont who all has seen the movie 'apocalypse now' but

I dont know who all has seen the movie 'apocalypse now' but , the movie had many meanings to me. I remember the era of the apocalypse now. The Vietnam era , and it brings a lot of things to mind. I don’t know how true it is , but we all heard that a soldier was attacked by an tiger . And it started a whole lot of panic and paranoia among the youth in my area , we thought that the end of the world was here, I will never forget the images of the war that were put in ‘Time” magazine ! This helped send us all into pandemonium . Well we were all children back then, But now I really do wonder how long we can last. I will not say the world is ending but I will say nature is going rogue - animals that are together that should not be , and places they should not be , and why ? We are doing a lot of this stuff.

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
The thing you have to remember is the swamp deer in the south only get about as big as a great dane, nothing compared to the whitetails we have around here.
Are you kidding? They may not be as large as some other deer, but a great dane? I've never seen a great dane total a car and kill the passengers. They get a little bigger than a dog, even a big dog.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Kevlar says it is maybe only fifteen feet long. Oh, well, then I guess there's nothing much to worry about. If it's seventeen feet long and terron is right then that's another story and no more swimming for me! Are you guys for real! In northern Minnesota I sometimes see a big old snapping turtle come out from under the dock and like to keep a respectful distance. If that gator showed up I've have a heart attack.
SB