Pedals became very stiff

GoldenMotor.com

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
I've had my motor off for about a week now (waiting on some new mounts) and I was riding to work today, and I stopped to wait for a car to pass before I went to cross the road. I went to start pedalling again and the pedals were very stiff, like when I sat on the bike and used my legs I could push them around, but with my hands it was rather hard.

I pickd up the back of the bike, and just spun the wheel, to see if it was the wheel, and the wheel spun fine. I tried the pedals backwards and forwards and they were stiff. I just kinda used my bike as a scooter (standing on a pedal and using my other foot to push myself along).

After work, I checked again, and everything seemed fine, I couldn't reproduce the problem. I was going to take it to the bike shop (the guys there are awesome, and pretty cheap) just to see if they could infd a problem, but they were closed because it's a weekend.

I'm going out tonight, so I don't want to be kind of stuck at 2 in the morning with a dodged bike on the way home (if I can't ride, people are bound to steal my bike and bash me, it's a problem here). So I want any ideas. I'm going to bed now, and will check when I wake in a few hours.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Oil your peddals and bearings. You may need new bearings sometime.
You may have crushed or worn a bearing from putting weight on one peddal without peddaling to even the strain to all the other bearings.

Try taking peddals and peddal arms apart and grease it up then put back together, should work better for a while.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
If this is a multi gear bike maybe it was the chain hanging up while riding, happened to me. Couldnt go foward or back on the crank and I though oh chit, stopped got off the bike the wheel and the crank spinned fine. Never could figure it out till it happened again the chain bunched up on the rear cogs.......maybe.

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
If this is a multi gear bike maybe it was the chain hanging up while riding, happened to me. Couldnt go foward or back on the crank and I though oh chit, stopped got off the bike the wheel and the crank spinned fine. Never could figure it out till it happened again the chain bunched up on the rear cogs.......maybe.
That could be it. The chain is showing signs of wear.

If I take it to a bike shop, are the bearings in the pedals expensive?