Motor stoped just after filling up

GoldenMotor.com

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
Ran my tank nearl dry then pulled in the servo put in oil then fuel, the bike rode normal for about 200metres then it died. the problem was I put the oil in first and the carb was full of oil. Just thaught I would let you all know ( Those who didnt ) one posible reason for breakdown. ( Im sure I have read this before in this forum, just forgot at the time ) From now on fuel then oil. luckily I mixed 25/1 and I normaly run at 50/1 so there was enough oil to go arround , I added a swig when I got home just to be safe.
auflg

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i figure if it gets a few bursts of raw fuel, it'll handle it, and the bumps in the road should take care of the rest of the mixin's.

only ran out twice. both times i didn't have any oil. first time i went to Home Depot and bought the worst oil ever made (don't remember the name) then pedaled to the gas station down the street. had to drain the tank when i got home, bike barely ran on it and spewed smoke like a coal burning train.

second time i bought whatever the chevron had, and it worked pretty good.

the bike i normally ride, i use Opti2 at 100:1, and haven't run outta gas on it (yet.) i should start carrying around a tiny bottle of it (eye drop bottle maybe?) because it's hard to find, and i think my bike would hate it if i had to put some crap oil in at 32:1 to get home...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
A good thing to do before you fill up at the pump as well is to shut the fuel off. That way if you have run it completely empty at least you won't get raw fuel in the line and carb.

I always mix my fuel in a can and not once had to fill up at the pump, if I know I am going on a long ride then I carry extra fuel to avoid the pump. And with my luck, I'd be a long way away from a pump station anyways. But I am sure there will be a day I need to refill at the pump.

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
...only ran out twice. both times i didn't have any oil. first time i went to Home Depot and bought the worst oil ever made (don't remember the name) then pedaled to the gas station down the street. had to drain the tank when i got home, bike barely ran on it and spewed smoke like a coal burning train...
Might that have been this oil?:

I got it at the local auto parts store, it's all they had. I'll know how it runs in a few day hopefully.