Manic Mechanics New and Improved Engine Mount Pictures

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
This is final copy on the engine mounts. Pics below...the price remains the same.

The bike will fall apart before these new mounts ever break. :D

The new design allows for the use of the stock intake; (the engine can be mounted at an angle if preferred).

The frame clamps have already been manufactured...I'll get the "T" shaped parts in the machine in a few days, and then the mounts will begin to ship.

Thanks to all who have waited so patiently. My purpose in all of this is to create parts that solve a problem. The original mount design represented the potential for problems.

The original, pan, design was good...but it broke on 3 out of 22 installs. At first I thought I had the wrong alloy for forming bends. In an attempt to ensure zero failures, I bought Mil spec 5052 for the pans. Another one broke during testing. I can only figure that the harmonic vibration was just right on those 3 to cause a fracture of the pan. I have customers with the pan design that have 6-7-8-9-10 months on their bikes, and many miles with no problems, but even one failure is not acceptable. Due to the failed mounts, I decided to scrap the design and re-think the whole thing.

Jim

Attachments

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Nice work Jim!! I cant wait to get mine! Please let us know when you ship, by posting in this thread.
Are the frame clamps rubber lined like your other mount?

Cant wait to ridednut

Last edited:

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
jim...i have your adapter and sproket already(very satisfied)but what measurements will you need to order these mounts?also does the 32.00 price still apply for both mounts?you dont have thses mounts on your website yet...thanks.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Hey Brett, looks very nice. Hey have you ever checked out piy bike motors? Your bike is screamin for one. I'm doing mine up with a 125 4 stroke and 4 speed trans. Not to discredit the china bikes, cause everyone knows I love me a china bike. But with build quality like yours it would be a beautiful thing to see.

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
awesome work once again! Can't wait to get these mounts, and ditch my home-made style mount. I already have the Intake, and Sprocket+Adapter, and they are polished to a mirror finish. These mounts will have to be polished as well to showcase their quality, and durability. I like that pic of those billet heads stacked up on the side! Gotta get me a couple of those as well. .wee.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Thanks for all of the positive comments guys...

I spent a little time today working on the electra. The Electra Coaster, (Aluminum frame), and the steel framed, base, model share the same amount of frame stretch. It's about 3" extra compared to a typical beach cruiser frame. Pics below. You can see from the photos that there is quite a gap between the engine and the forward frame tube. The rear mount can not be extended because the kit chain would have to be lengthened.

Tomorrow I will finish the front mount.

Jim

Attachments

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
The more I look at them the more I like them, those motor mounts are really nice. Nice job incorporating adjustability and cosmetic appeal with bull strength. Hats off.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
The more I look at them the more I like them, those motor mounts are really nice. Nice job incorporating adjustability and cosmetic appeal with bull strength. Hats off.
Thanks K.i.p.,

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do to secure the front...

These stretch bikes pose a problem in several ways. The chain, (as supplied), isn't long enough to move the engine forward. Without moving the engine forward, muffler placement gets tricky.

I'll give it a good look over when I get to the shop and come up with something.

Jim

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Would it be stronger if the rear mount was extended, so both front and rear mounts are equal in length. I have no problem lengthening my chain if it will help in any way

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Got it done.

The front mount is similar to the rear. It Uses a link with a slot at the frame clamp end so that the engine can be positioned without putting any part of it in a bind.

I could have split the difference and moved the engine forward, but all of the stress is in the rear. I wanted to keep that mount short and stout. I realize that for some people, adding chain links is no big deal...but for others it would mean buying 2 chains to get a few extra links. I try to make products that have value with the least amount of hassle possible.

The engine is completely rigid without having to put any undue stress on the 6mm bolts that go directly in to the engine. The engine sits perfectly on the pads so that the mounting bolts are being used only as intended.

The number one reason that the kit mounts fail is due to side loading of the studs. There are many different frame styles, so without any flexibility in the mounting system...the harware will be stressed in ways that were not intended.

Keep in mind that the parts shown were machined manually...except for the actual frame clamps which were intended for use with the pan design...I made a bunch of them months ago. The production version will be contoured in the CNC, thereby eliminating some of the clunky look to the parts.

I know there has been a lot of conjecture about lining motor mounts with rubber. There is a VERY practical reason for doing it. Looking at how the pans fractured with a few engines, (The engine was bolted directly to the pan), it is obvious that some of these engines have a harmonic vibration that will promote a fracture in metal...It's like an opera singer hitting the correct pitch to break a wine glass.

The rubber that I put inside the frame clamps compresses tightly to the frame when the clamp is bottomed out. The engine doesn't move, and your frame will be protected from high frequency vibes that could lead to a frame crack.

The first bike shown in this thread rides like a dream...I expect this Electra will too!

On a side note:

What was Grubee thinking with the clutch cable set-up on the Gen II's?

If I were to use this one as-is, the clutch cable would eventually saw a hole in the carb float bowl! The cable literally wraps around the float bowl at a hard angle...More fix-it fun I guess. I figured the black and Chrome engine would look good on this all black bike...which it does.

Jim

Attachments

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
They are done. He just has to get them into the CNC to polish them up.

I sure hope he ships before then. Im going crazy.
Even better! I sure hope they get here next week.

Edit:I talked with Jim & Karen today to change my order for the clamp sizes.I clearly asked Karen how long this would take,she told me the metal would be in by Friday and they will start making motor mounts.This is what she has told me for the last few months..

Jim,I hate to bug you but whats the real deal on the mounts man? Shipping time? Thanks.

Last edited:

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Edit:I talked with Jim & Karen today to change my order for the clamp sizes.I clearly asked Karen how long this would take,she told me the metal would be in by Friday and they will start making motor mounts.This is what she has told me for the last few months..

Jim,I hate to bug you but whats the real deal on the mounts man? Shipping time? Thanks.
Im so confused. It seems like everyone gets told something different, I really dont know what to think any more.

Jim, Can you Please PM with Any info on my custom motor mount. Im really confused and I just want to know what is going on.

Thanks

Tcams

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I posted pics of the new motor mount design...Now I have to produce a quantity of them...what could possibly be confusing about that? I wish I could rub metal together in my hands and then throw it in a box as a finished product...but it's not quite that easy.

Read through the previous post! Got it done "means" that I have a mount that works. The mounts shown were made manually. I can't spend the next 98 days making one motor mount per day manually! The material will go in the CNC immediately.

The CNC is not used to polish parts that I have made...It makes the parts rapidly. I rarely use the CNC for one-off bike parts...I do them manually, (read: time consuming), and then program the CNC based on final copy.

Right now I am at final copy...again read the posts...The parts are in-process, and will go into production this week-end. I wish the CNC could produce a motor mount in 15 milliseconds, but it can't...the mounts will be done; when they're done.

Jim

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Perfection takes time!!! We get the hint, Jim. Put my sprocket and adapter on today, and what a sweet ride it has become. Can't wait to slap some of these mounts on eventually. I'll have to modify them for my stretch frame though. L8R.

Status
Not open for further replies.