vegetarian time!

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Hey guys!!
One of my teacher inspired me to become a vegetarian... so Im goign to see how long i willlast :D
I plan on starting to eliminte stuff like red meat starting tomorrow or tuesday, and then work my way down... but im not going vegan :D

so my question... does anyone have any vegetarian recipes??

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I really suggest that you read at least 4 good books on both sides before you start this endeavor.

I (and others) have attempted a meatless life and only grew fatter and dumpier and more depressed. There really is no good substitute for the protein and food density of good lean meat and fish. Some people, rather some body types, are NOT better off without meat. Most arguments against meat start with the cruelty to animals - well OK, you must do what your spirit tells you. Other arguments against meat are about the negative aspects of meat - but center on people who just ate TOO much meat or people who don't do well with meat.

Just don't kid yourself when you get those carb cravings and power up of tons of white flour as a substitute. Soy based proteins are OK, but you can easily eat too much soy, trying to make up for meat protein.

Hit the library as well as the web.

Engler

Nov 27, 2009
Florida
Yes do your homework first. Also consider your blood type.

If you have group A you might be a candidate for partially restricted (white meat only) diet.

Any other blood type you may do yourself more harm than good not eating meat or dairy products.

Most of the anti meat propaganda comes from animal activists PETA type militants.

Their agenda is not eating animals since according to them they have "rights" just like humans.

It is not about healthy diet and a person well being by meatless diet.

Your better "health" is just a smokescreen.

Their agenda and final goal is to prohibit eating meat and stop raising farm animals. They already made several attempts trying to legislate restricting shipping poultry, hatching eggs etc.

If the person talking you to quitting regular diet is of this PETA/ animal activist type, be highly suspicious about his or her motives.

Last edited:

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
The human race has been eating meat for thousands of years and we all still seem to be here.Anything in excess is bad for you,even vegies.GO MEAT

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
I think the biggest mistake most vegetarians make from my observations is trying to dishes where meat is an integral ingredient without meat. Even worse is using meat substitutes. Expand your culinary horizons. There are many many cultures where meat is a special item due to cost and rarity. They have plenty of wonderful dishes which were never designed around meat. Explore mediteranean cooking, Indian cooking, etc. Look for lentil dishes, squash dishes etc.

I am an omnivore, but I can cook dishes which vegetarians love, as I am half Armenian. Vegetarians are easy....weirdo vegans, now those guys are hard to cook for.

Falafel, tabouli, lentil kufteh, borag...etc.

One exception that I do to my own rule is a vegetarian squash lasagna....though sqash lasagna is better with meat...go figure (preferably a nice cute bambi like deer which you ground into sausage).

Take yellow squash, zuccini, or both and slice in slices about 1/4 inch thick. Dip them in beaten eggs then dredge in seasoned bread crumbs with optionally a litte parmesan cheese mixed in. Good seasons itallian dry dressing pack works good for seasoning plain crumbs btw. Fry the squash in olive oil, clarified butter, or grapeseed oil until golden brown and set on a paper towel to drain.

Make your lasagna as normal except use layers of the fried squash instead of noodles. This a a great way to use of extra squash from the garden. And anyone who has grown summer squash knows there is always extra when it comes in.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
A lot of those hard core veg-heads wind up on their death beds early. The problem is that the body needs certain proteins that a strict veggie diet can't give.

Red meat has vitamin B-17 in it and the body needs this. The alternative to this is apricot seeds. All the rest of the vitamins the body needs, can be found in pill form, so if a person doesn't mind swallowing a handful of pills everyday, I suppose you can do it.

I would do what those before me suggested and research this a bit, and know the pros and cons to both sides of it, and THEN decide.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
yes yes thank you all for the advice!
I lnow that being a vegetairin isnt fro everyone... I just want to try it for a short time.....
Im still thinking....

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
First of all there is a LOT of incorrect info concerning vegetarian/vegan lifestyles. There was a study done that found three groups of people that had MUCH longer lives than other groups of people. You can read about it here Longevity, The Secrets of Long Life - National Geographic Magazine
One of these groups, Seventh-day Adventists in Loma Linda, California, are vegan for the most part and the rest are vegetarians.

A vegan diet, done properly, is actually the healthiest and cheapest way to eat.