red hot muffler!

GoldenMotor.com

ct66rider

Jan 20, 2010
ct
today i was doin a little riding with the baffle cap off the end of my muffler and when i shut it off i noticed the inside of the muffler was redhot is this normal? has that happened to anyone else?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't run it without the cap. First issue is the motor's need for a certain amount of back pressure to function properly. You can cause an over lean condition which will prove harmful to the engine.
Second issue is the noise. Motorized bicycles are on thin ice in a many locals and running an open exhaust is a sure way to get the attention of 'the man'. We don't need that, neither do you.
Tom

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
"...i noticed the inside of the muffler was redhot..."

"...is this normal?"

Most people probably don't look inside their mufflers after riding their bikes, however, the muffler could get that hot if it is a catalytic cumbustion muffler. The more oil in the mix, the hotter the muffler gets.

ct66rider

Jan 20, 2010
ct
hah well i was rideing at night and i seen an orange glow on my road!! hah but ill put it back on it the morning

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
i only run with my baffle cap off my bike runs better that way its more responsive and alil more power, and me and my friends like our toys loud so i like it ;) for the red hot muffler problem iv never had it

.bf.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Good idea double!
Really tick off those neighbors and passer-bys. Let them all know how annoying these pesky bikes are. Maybe some legislator will be among them and that will be the end of gas bikes in Cal.
How do you like electric-bikes?
There may be one in your future.

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
Good idea double!
Really tick off those neighbors and passer-bys. Let them all know how annoying these pesky bikes are. Maybe some legislator will be among them and that will be the end of gas bikes in Cal.
How do you like electric-bikes?
There may be one in your future.
Ya people, loud may sound cool but it's eventually that problem that's gonna wreck the MB game. Keep the cover on those pipe ends and maybe drill a couple of 1/8" holes for performance. My buddies and I have all gotton tickets or warnings for our pipes/noise on our motorcycles in the last two years, so I'm sure a capless MB pipe will attract unnecessary heat from the "Heat". .wee.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's totally possible to modify the pipe to flow better & still keep the noise down to a acceptable level.
Basically, you want to 'gut' the baffle & leave the end cap & stinger intact!

Also, it's normal for the pipe to get glowing hot... :D

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
how many hole should i drill in my stock pipe? cause i need the performance
I've had a total of 8 personal MBs now in the last 10months, and there is'nt one bike that I did'nt drill holes into the exhaust with {Rockvoice can attest to that}. I'm down to 2 MBs now, and I drill at least 3 1/8" holes into the pipe cap. I'm a firm believer that it increases speed. I've even drilled 4 1/4" holes in my latest stretch cruiser {not that loud either} and that bike rolls at a sound 35MPH +. I'd start with 2 1/8" holes and give er ride to check for noise and performance. brnot

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
i only run with my baffle cap off my bike runs better that way its more responsive and alil more power, and me and my friends like our toys loud so i like it ;) for the red hot muffler problem iv never had it

.bf.
Oh, good advice. When the laws come down on us at least we'll know who to thank.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Normally I'm all about the "to each their own" thing... but honestly I gotta say this whole runnin w/o the end cap on the muffler is a annoying, ghetto, duct tape work-around at best and is guaranteed to irritate even those that love these bikes... like me. If I had a neighbor that did that we'd have... problems.

It may sound "good" to the inexperienced, but to those that know performance engines it sounds like exactly what it is - broken.

If you really want true performance and the sound of a healthy two stroke doin' it's thang, don't "cheap out" - get a expansion chamber, not only will it have far, far more of a performance effect it'll not be nearly as dumb sounding. If you want performance and quiet (relative), get the SBP one, if you want performance and noise - get the Spooky Tooth one, if ya wanna save some dough - get some random pocket bike expansion offn eBay or w/e...

If ya wanna piss everyone off, sound like you don't know anythin' about two strokes, run way too lean & seize it or just get the bike impounded and work towards stricter regulation and laws pertaining to motorized bikes - go ahead and run w/o the endcap... but be glad I dunno where ya live lol

Before I saved up my pennies for the SBP system I did the "mod the baffles" & drill holes thing and it's true that it provides a slight increase in power as the stock system is overly restrictive, while it was only marginally louder - there also wasn't nearly the power increase that an expansion chamber provides. As a proper expansion chamber is actually an integral component to a two stroke's combustion cycle - I consider it a "missing part" that should be included with the kit but isn't because of their low cost. Recently I pulled the expansion chamber off my bike and put the modded stock one back on and it's night and day - my bike's a freakin' dog now, it feels like I'm pullin' a heavily laden trailer.

So much for my attempt at savin' a few bucks by swappin' exhaust systems - I'm defo gonna hafta kick out for another one from SBP for my new build, modded or otherwise - stock sux ;)

Last edited:

Mrakulous

Mar 9, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
My cap fell of shortly after I put the bike together. It does get red hot. The noise does get annoying, but with limited funds, i'm kinda stuck with the set up. I remember when my motor was running rich and at idle it would shoot out some flames. It looked cool at night but now I have proper jetting and the bike runs nice. I've spoken to my local police about the noise and they told me it wasn't loud enough to cause me trouble. But I'm the only one around with a MB. It is not nearly as loud as the guys who take the baffles out of their Harley's and what not. Or my dad's ranchero running straight pipes.

Eventual i'll get a better exhaust when I begin my new build of a stretch.

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
No one here really cares im 16 and have had motorcycle cops and police pull up next to me and no problems, But ill try some different ways to to see if it works for me

P.S. I WILL NEVER RIDE AN ELECTRIC BIKE laff

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'd like to get an electric bike. I did test ride one in San Francisco it would pull any of the hills there
full suspension with disc brakes front and rear. Problem is it was $3000.00.
Very nice looking too. no need for a muffler.

SOHOL

Aug 4, 2010
BRADENTON,FL
I have a 48v x 1000 watt electric bike, goes 30 mph....take 3hrs for recharge, then I use my motor bike...sometimes I like quite, but I cant go over 3 miles away...6 miles round trip...needs a recharge then